M-Audio Ozone

- ask away
Renze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

M-Audio Ozone

Post by Renze »

Hello,

I've been looking for a midi controller and an audio interface to seriously upgrade my laptop for producing...So I was surprised when I saw that M-Audio offers a 3-in-1 solution: Audio interface, Midi interface and Midi controller in one. LINKY
(It looks a bit like the Oxygen8 )

My question: does anyone here have this, or have used it? I want to know if it's really a good thing for producing, I'm not planning to use it live or anything. The fact that it's 3 things on one USB port might suggest it has latency problems?
sqook
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sqook »

I've seen them in stores before and fiddled with them, and it's definitely a lust-worthy gadget. ;) However, the keys and knobs felt kind of low-quality... I'm not sure how a device like this would hold up over time and travel.

Also, it has 2 midi out ports, so if you're worried about latency over the usb bus, you could just connect it to your existing midi interface or soundcard.
vip32
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by vip32 »

have you looked at the m-audio ozonic, a little more expensive but better features (hey!). i'm thinking of getting one.

Not convinced that USB can handle the audio rate, the ozonic has firewire and 4 audio channels (+ headphone out) over firewire.

just a thought...
Renze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Renze »

Hey,

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I looked at the Ozonic, it's very nice. However, it's a bit too pricey, and I think it's too big to fit in my bedroom lol :D I think I'd rather go for an Audiophile USB sound card + Oxygen8 in that case.

And as for the durability of the Ozone...Well, I won't be travelling much with it so I think I can keep it in one piece :)
mattenglund
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mattenglund »

I got mine with an ableton package about a year ago.

Still like it....even thought the keys and knobs are a little cheap, but I haven't had any problems with it yet.

My only problem is that there isn't enough keys.....I have moved up to a larger controller for playing keys.

It is a really great controller.

buy it

M
You're staring at a piece of furniture!
People on TV are not your friends. They're not in the room with you. You are alone in the dark, staring at a plastic box.
Renze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Renze »

I will! I read some online reviews and the only cons seem to be the flimsy construction and the external power source. I won't be travelling with it so it's no problem for me :)
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

dont buy it if you gig out. a friend of mine has an oxygen and an ozone sitting on his floor cuz thats all they can do anymore. Novation also has a similar product.
freeeeeee
vip32
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by vip32 »

mmm, i heard that too. but it does not apply to the ozonic. so i read
anyway, just ordered mine on ebay today... we'll see how well it is constructed :) i use it mainly at home and in the garden.