- ask away
aaron_bliss
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

noise

Post by aaron_bliss »

I have the same issue.

some background...
I use all gear(mpc, virus, emx1 and so on) and for the most part recorded on a vs2400cd. no hiss at all.

I sold the VS2400 that I could start using a more linear way of mixing or re-mixing if you will. I picked up a nice laptop a copy of soundfordge and a copy of live 6 and for now just picked up one of the M-Audio MobilePre USB Portable Audio Interface - nothing killer - just so that I could get working fast. I figure something better later. - multi trackable is what I would prefer.

anyway - I recorded three tracks and they came out just all fuzzy - I threw them up on myspace to share with forums and to get some ideas.

I didn't have the volume all peeked out because the fuzz was worse so the recordings were "soft" as well"

I am running everything in the same room - and the laptop is on battery power.
If I turn down all the gear I only get rid of a little bit but not much.

also - I looked at the website posetd but its for a piece of sw that comes in a bundle.

any more suggestions please help.

for examples go to http://www.myspace.com/jackcomplex

thanks to anyone for the help.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

sometimes it's the simplicity of just spending the extra money for great cables.. perhaps attempt to remove (how) or what your going through..

with process of elimination..... you may be just getting feedback with certain boxes and perhaps you can cut them out of the line....

the monster cables come with a lifetime warranty and are about 25 us dollars a piece..

try moving the master volume up / down ... along with the channel out..

perhaps keep one under 10 and the other close to it... or vice versa... i've found in my mixer that if I try to take one master or regular channel up too far I get feedback... and therefore have to adjust the (both) of them together to get the best quality..

sometimes not sure how the facts sit but....

I have questioned form time to time if I was getting feedback from my own computer... too many electric friends - too close - to one another...

perhaps you may have too many electric plugs in one outlet...

perhaps spread them out into several for electrical balance. or perhaps buy a better quality multi plug outlet .. .

perhaps it could be the electrical outlet in your place... perhaps try plugging it into other outlets with longer cords... I notice in my old house I had one outlet that may have been connected with something else in the house that gave me more fuzzy feedback than if I ran a cord to another outlet..

hope this may help...

:)
bleupulp
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by bleupulp »

when u plug your headphones stringht into the elektron machines do u hear the noise ?
marcneyen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by marcneyen »

regarding the noise on Machinedrums here's my experience:

I tried pretty much everything and the noise definitely comes from the MD, not bad cables etc.
What helped in my case was the use of the compressor in the Master FX section.Just try the MIX button on it and you'll see, completely wet signal has no noise while the 100% uncompressed signal is noisy. Now obviously noise reduction isn't the compressors function, blame Elektron for that 'additional feature' in it. It comes down to the choice between slightly noisy (uncompressed) sounds or clean sounds whereas I personally prefer to find a compromise between the two as imo the comp on the MD sounds kinda harsh and uncompressed sounds on it sound sweeter to my ears. It helps too to put the overall gain in the Master EQ at least past 12o'clock and keep individual track levels between 50% and 70% tops.
Hope this helps..
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

There will alwyas be some floor noise when recording audio. no metter where how, and with what you record it. the whole diffrences between these things is how much noise. it comes from the convertors, the pre-amp's, cables...
if you have to much, use noise gate or try diffrent equipment to see which one makes too much of that noise. but there will always be some.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

I'm not sure how much noise you are experiencing... but

personally, i love adding a bit of noise to my mix. To me this is what makes a recording feel recorded or maybe natural? Again many people disagree with me which makes the choice of noise my personal preference. :lol:
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
brooksmosher
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by brooksmosher »

i was at NSC one afternoon back around '94 and Ron had mentioned how he wanted to take the noise out of some Basic Channel DAT recordings that he had been recently mastering and they insisted he left the noise alone.
_________

my music

mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

brooksmosher wrote:i was at NSC one afternoon back around '94 and Ron had mentioned how he wanted to take the noise out of some Basic Channel DAT recordings that he had been recently mastering and they insisted he left the noise alone.
:lol: