Old doubts about compression, reverb and digital mastering.

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

it's difficult for me to advise you on hardware EQ's and compressors, because basically the more you pay the better the quality.
the real professional gear like Avalon, and Manley, the higher end TLAudio kit etc. is very expensive.
so for vinyl releases i always use the pro-kit in the cutting room, as opposed to my project studio gear, so i will take my tunes un-mastered to the cut.

I use an Ivory series TLAudio tube EQ, ( which is project studio kit) but i dont usually use the EQ, because i dont like the sound of it, but the amplifier in it really sweetens up the mix. basically i have that in line at all times.

but there are some nice pieces of kit that dont cost a fortune, for instance Toft Audio.

there are lots of other ways though, you could buy a small British analogue mixer, ( Allen & Heath, Soundcraft etc.) you might not need lots of channels, but you need good quality EQ.
British desks are world renouned for their warm sound, it wont be tube, but it will help glue your mixes and warm them up.
even a DJ mixer like an Allen & Heath , which is also going to be useful for other jobs.
there are small tube mixers available, but they are expensive, the TLaudio Tube tracker is sweet, but its £2300.
i've even put whole mixes through a pair of Moogerfooger Low pass filters with the filters wide open, its incredible how it fattens and warms up the bass, and brings out the mid-range.

to be honest if you're working in software, almost anything analogue will help ( within reason ) . i've got a mate who puts mixes through the amplifier stage of an old valve radio he picked up in a junk shop for peanuts.

i really cant advise you on software, there'll be people on this forum who can better help you on that, software is getting better and better, and if its all you know, then to you it will probably sound fine, but to me i really can tell the difference, i'll never ditch analogue in the final stages of mixdown, even if was using software synths, its fundamental as far as I'm concerned, my ears are totally tuned to it.

all i can say is play a vinyl record next to ableton playing the same tune, and compare, there is no comparison. the vinyl will caress your ears.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

ive watched a few videos and some people bounce there audio to tape then bounce it back and apperantly that can give a nice warmer round sound to ya mixes, plus tape decks are super cheap, im thinking of doing this myself but i need some second opinions as im not clued up on this at all really!
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

mix a track digitally, and then send the mix to a mastering guy who masters with analog stuff and your problem is solved.
this will even force you to make better tracks and not send sh!t material to the mastering guy, because it will cost you money.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

gowans wrote:ive watched a few videos and some people bounce there audio to tape then bounce it back and apperantly that can give a nice warmer round sound to ya mixes, plus tape decks are super cheap, im thinking of doing this myself but i need some second opinions as im not clued up on this at all really!
if you're going to bounce to tape you need a Studer reel to reel.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

New Guy wrote:mix a track digitally, and then send the mix to a mastering guy who masters with analog stuff and your problem is solved.
this will even force you to make better tracks and not send sht material to the mastering guy, because it will cost you money.
you're right in some respects, but i want to hear the finished sound before i go to the cut. when i attend cuts, i ask the mastering engineer to do as little as possible to my mix, its usually just a slight bit of limiting, and a hi- pass to remove the very low subs.
what i take to the cut, is hardly distinguishable from what goes on the vinyl.
i'm not going to rely on the cutting engineer to correct anything.
what i'm trying to say is, you dont want the cutting engineer to glue your mix together for you if you can do it yourself.
i suppose i use the cut to just put the final sheen on my tunes.
you can actually be creative with these various forms of self-mastering, where as the cutting engineer is less likely to want to be creative, he usually just wants to get the job done.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

gowans wrote:ive watched a few videos and some people bounce there audio to tape then bounce it back and apperantly that can give a nice warmer round sound to ya mixes, plus tape decks are super cheap, im thinking of doing this myself but i need some second opinions as im not clued up on this at all really!
I've also heard of bouncing the audio it to a vcr tape...
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Martin Decara
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Martin Decara »

steevio wrote:
if you're going to bounce to tape you need a Studer reel to reel.
I have a studer A80, and it is fun to work with. The only problem is the noise and that it take´s time to record and then bounce it back into the box.
kruko
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kruko »

5 - I want my mix to get tight, to make the tracks to glue together. (so everybody does, duh!)Any tips?
Nothing new on this one, basically just a good combination of compression, EQing, and some reverberation.

Try playing with the Isotope Ozone, it gives some good results.