Linux

- ask away
Stefan Koopmanschap
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Linux

Post by Stefan Koopmanschap »

So I've been playing around with Rosegarden on Linux. I'm quite happy with it. Happy enough to start getting rid of my hardware. Anyone else here make music with Linux?
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

Rosegarden is something I've been meaning to experiment with, but haven't had the chance. I have dabbled with BEAST a few times, which is really powerful, but not terribly polished.

Linux audio's something I hope takes off some day. It's got a lot of potential, but not a whole lot of work is being done on it, at least visibly. Hopefully once LADSPA starts taking off, more people will start moving over.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Any of these toys compiling under OS X?
Stefan Koopmanschap
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

brianc: yeah, LADSPA is cool but it needs more plugins. Rosegarden supports it, so I'd gladly get more LADSPA plugins :)

adam: I have no idea, you'd have to check the documentation of the software.
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

adam wrote:Any of these toys compiling under OS X?
It definitely could be done, but I have the feeling that it'd be a painful process...
sqook
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sqook »

brianc wrote:
adam wrote:Any of these toys compiling under OS X?
It definitely could be done, but I have the feeling that it'd be a painful process...
It'd probably just be easier to run them under apple's X11 environment rather than porting everything over to carbon. However, most of the linux sound libs (such as jack) have been ported over to osx already, iirc.
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

sqook wrote: It'd probably just be easier to run them under apple's X11 environment rather than porting everything over to carbon. However, most of the linux sound libs (such as jack) have been ported over to osx already, iirc.
Definitely. I was wondering if it was dependant on some Linux-centric things like ALSA, and it seems to be, but it's been ported to the BSDs, so it could be done. All you have to do is get all the dependencies like the KDE stuff.

In general, though, I would love to see a lot of software working on both Linux/BSD and OS X, since I use them both. I think if OS X music people started using the free programs out there, they might be a real help in improving them.
Stefan Koopmanschap
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

I've recently seen some very nice apps that are available for all platforms that were written in Java. These apps were aimed at programming, and not music making, but Java is clearly very good for these kinds of things. So now a company needs to decide to focus on developing in Java ;)