control the tempo in traktor..

- ask away
9livesto live
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

control the tempo in traktor..

Post by 9livesto live »

Hi everyone... I have to ask traktor djs a question, since I'm particularly newbie..

I noticed that the sync feature is not sooo precise... So how do you use to control the tempo? Dou you click sync at first and then you adjust it manually? Or simply ignore that and match the beats hearing (like, i suppose vinyl djs use to...)?

I usually follow the first option, but results are scarce, since i lose all the time moving the tempo knob, and this comes to be particularly brainiac while you are in the mix, since you have to care about EQ and FXs as well.

I understand this could sound stupid to acquainted djs, but I have to understand if what I need is training more and having a better confidence with beat matching, or if there's a better technoque i'm not aware of....
Thanx everyone in advance... Write and instruct me!!!
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

I don't have much experience with this since I only use Traktor with vinyl control, but I think what you'll have to do is create "beat grids" for each track (like warping in ableton live). After that, sync should work a lot better for you.

I know there are some guides for creating beat grids online.
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kleig »

One tactic is to put the song in cue to a 16, 8 or 4 bar loop a minute or a few before you bring it into the mix. Let it roll a few times in the cue an check that it is perfectly in sync.

Before bringing it in press the sync button for four bar time on every kick or rythm tap of the tune thats on air at that moment, then start beatmixing and voila!

Basically the trick is to loop the thing a bit before bringing it in. Anyways it will eventually start to drift some anyways, to keep it right just press sync again (best to have some kind of button on your computer or mixer that syncs it automatically) but remember to do it before it drifts too much and you can keep it so that it doesn't show up too much, just press on the sync button a few times on beat.
9livesto live
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 9livesto live »

Thanx!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
lanno
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lanno »

man, you have to forget that god damn sync button! :twisted:
use pitch bend. syncing is bullshit in traktor.
but if you are more likely to sync, than use ableton. that's totally synced with itself:D
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

lanno wrote:man, you have to forget that god damn sync button! :twisted:
use pitch bend. syncing is bullshit in traktor.
but if you are more likely to sync, than use ableton. that's totally synced with itself:D
agreed... I was mixing with some friends the other day that just picked up tracktor... and they had troubles matching beats to my records because they relied so much on this.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
androidequation
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by androidequation »

I use tracktor and love it but the sync is a bit of a cheat if just mixinig 2 tracks at a time.... It's easy enough to map your tempo and pitch bend to the keyboard and mix like you would with vinyl, only punching keys instead of spinning the plater... I only use the sync function when I'm feelin frisky and mixing 3 or more tracks/loops/samples at once... At this point it really comes in handy...