hats, percussion, snares, etc.

- ask away
softly
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

hats, percussion, snares, etc.

Post by softly »

hi guys,

has been bugging me for sometime now and have spent many hours cursing my computer over it, but i was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers (if they know of course) about how to get those crazy hi-hat effects going as heard on luciano's 'FOR DISCOS ONLY' release (the a-side with mercedes on the vocals) and villalobos' CADENZA release. other examples include luciano's remix of isolee on the western edits pt1, or the yamore remix. hopefully you know what im talking about.

thankyou!

:D
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

hmmm I'll have to check out those tunes to reference

I generally use this method;

think about the sound,

separate it from the other noises

how does it evolve? and shift?

how could I make a sound do that with my synths or drum machines?

usually this leads to a lot of experimentation.

but if you have a clear goal of the idea in your head

move towards it full speed, and your results will surprise you.
softly
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by softly »

ah yes.

thats basically the approach i take but this is really doing my head in.

i don't want to get out of it the easy way, but im just wondering if there are any good vsts, etc that could be useful in creating the effect.

ive been playing around with splicing up hi-hats and using delays and reverb on them but still no sucess :(

there doesnt seem to be much you can do with just putting hi hat samples into impluse (in live) and playing around with them. thats what ive found. was wondering if there are any other vsts similar to impulse but offer more range of well, screwing around with things :P
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

ableton's impulse and abletons effects are more then plenty to mangle a sound in any way you want. Believe me I used to think the effects suck untill I really learned them well... I must admit ableton's phaser and flanger really suck ;)
532nm
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by 532nm »

i find granulizers do wonders for hat's
Doppio Malto
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Doppio Malto »

i usually make about 6 or 7 tracks of different hit hat arrangements, with reverb, beat repeat and simple delay. I usally have one or two more prominent tracks of hats and the rest a lot more sutle.

the impulse in Ableton is perfect, remember to adjust the time for a lot of the noises...... less time for more chopped up clicky sounds and more for a fuller wetter sound.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Ruso, how do i learn the flanger and phaser... I honestly don't understand how they work.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: hats, percussion, snares, etc.

Post by Red Kite »

softly wrote:has been bugging me for sometime now and have spent many hours cursing my computer over it, but i was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers (if they know of course) about how to get those crazy hi-hat effects going as heard on luciano's 'FOR DISCOS ONLY' release (the a-side with mercedes on the vocals) and villalobos' CADENZA release. other examples include luciano's remix of isolee on the western edits pt1, or the yamore remix. hopefully you know what im talking about.
:D
Are you talking about the sound of the hi-hats or about the arrangement of them? Cause I think the magic lies in the latter. The sounds wouldn't be that amazing if you hear them just for themselves without the incredible tight, precise but organic arrangements of Luciano and Ricardo. Don't ask me how they do it, but I guess it takes a hell lot of time and much more then just programming some loops, hitting the beat repeat and hoping it sounds funky...
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)