djing with ableton

- ask away
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

adam wrote:Why would you play whole tracks? Break 'em down, get gritty and break all your tracks into as many loops and elements as possible. Put them together again when you play, in order if you must but if you are using a technology like that, why would you just play 'em the same boring old way?

Have some fun with them. I've fantisized about using ableton to "dj" for awhile, just haven't had time to do the work. Maybe it's just personal preference but I certainly wouldn't want to just "play" tracks..
Yeah, I've had the same idea, but I think it's too time consuming...
g
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by g »

patrick bateman wrote:
plaster wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:

You need to set alot of warp makers, so that the tracks will match in beat, when you mix them...

not that hard, but pretty time consuming IMO..

i think i got the whole thing once you told me that i need to set a lot of markers.

so,i just gotta mark every beat in a track and thats basicly it?
That's what I did when I tried it out a year ago, yes... But I don't think you have to mark every beat through the track, most tracks should be so accurate in the beat, so you just need to mark the beginning and ending of the track... I think :)
more or less, yes. you don't want to warp mark all the beats in a track or it ends up losing any semblance of groove. and it's also not generally necessary.

check out the "how to warp - the movie" thread on the tips & tricks board of the ableton forum.
g
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by g »

plaster wrote:
audiophile wrote:you should contact Surgeon on this one...he seems to have it down to a science!!! :D

good luck plaster...

cheers,
vlad
you mean, the techno artist Surgeon?
yes. he's been an all-ableton dj for at least a year now.
speaking of, the radio1 breezeblock set he did last night is now available on his site @ http://www.dj-surgeon.com/audio.html
audiophile
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by audiophile »

g wrote:
plaster wrote:
audiophile wrote:you should contact Surgeon on this one...he seems to have it down to a science!!! :D

good luck plaster...

cheers,
vlad
you mean, the techno artist Surgeon?
yes. he's been an all-ableton dj for at least a year now.
speaking of, the radio1 breezeblock set he did last night is now available on his site @ http://www.dj-surgeon.com/audio.html
yup...thee Surgeon...

he ROCKED Chicago with an all ableton live PA SO INCREDIBLY in March, we're all still reminiscing about it! WOW...
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

patrick bateman wrote:
adam wrote:Why would you play whole tracks? Break 'em down, get gritty and break all your tracks into as many loops and elements as possible. Put them together again when you play, in order if you must but if you are using a technology like that, why would you just play 'em the same boring old way?

Have some fun with them. I've fantisized about using ableton to "dj" for awhile, just haven't had time to do the work. Maybe it's just personal preference but I certainly wouldn't want to just "play" tracks..
Yeah, I've had the same idea, but I think it's too time consuming...

tried that during the day,but i end up with a zillion loops,which is a bit of an pain in the ass.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
leecurtiss
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by leecurtiss »

for some reason i discount a person that is doing a dj set from abelton as much of a performance, i know some people will disagree but if you are playing other ppl's music as a dj shouldn't beat matching be invovled, not by a computer but by the dj. i don't know why but if you aren't doing extensive editing to turn it into something of your own, to me you might as well just have someone else do your mix. i think abelton is one of the most powerful tools in my studio but i would never use it to play other ppl's music.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

leecurtiss wrote:for some reason i discount a person that is doing a dj set from abelton as much of a performance, i know some people will disagree but if you are playing other ppl's music as a dj shouldn't beat matching be invovled, not by a computer but by the dj. i don't know why but if you aren't doing extensive editing to turn it into something of your own, to me you might as well just have someone else do your mix. i think abelton is one of the most powerful tools in my studio but i would never use it to play other ppl's music.

i know what are you saying,but i just want to try an see how much he can go...i've seen others dj with,so i thought i might also just as an break from turntables.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
g
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by g »

leecurtiss wrote:for some reason i discount a person that is doing a dj set from abelton as much of a performance, i know some people will disagree but if you are playing other ppl's music as a dj shouldn't beat matching be invovled, not by a computer but by the dj. i don't know why but if you aren't doing extensive editing to turn it into something of your own, to me you might as well just have someone else do your mix. i think abelton is one of the most powerful tools in my studio but i would never use it to play other ppl's music.
consider the fact that beatmatching was a skill born out of necessity.

also, what does "performance" here have to do with price of tea in china? isn't it about what you hear, regardless of how they got there?

all that said, if it's not for you, fair enough.

however the comment about might as well have someone else do your mix is really strange to me. taking surgeon for example since he's sorta the topic, some of my favorite sets of his before he went ableton, even before he went final scratch, were sets that were predominately made up of custom edit acetates of his own material.