djing with ableton

- ask away
simonfromuk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by simonfromuk »

Please don't let this descend into a fight about whether laptop DJing is 'real' DJing or not!

Anyways, with warping I have found that if the original source of the track is digital (ie track is downloaded from netlabel/mp3 store or off CD) then all you need to do is set the start correct and get the right BPM and you don't need any warp markers.

If your source for your soundfile is analogue (ie record from vinyl or reel to reel :P) then you will most likely need to chuck a few warp markers in here and there (every 32/62 bars or so).

Also of course the best thing with warping is you can take 'live' loops (ie unquantized loops) and hook them into the groove just fine... great for percussive breaks and so on.
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

leecurtiss wrote:for some reason i discount a person that is doing a dj set from abelton as much of a performance, i know some people will disagree but if you are playing other ppl's music as a dj shouldn't beat matching be invovled, not by a computer but by the dj. i don't know why but if you aren't doing extensive editing to turn it into something of your own, to me you might as well just have someone else do your mix. i think abelton is one of the most powerful tools in my studio but i would never use it to play other ppl's music.
yea man...fck taking the car..lets walk everywhere...
so there is this technology that comes along and helps us beatmatch. why not use it? i have never been one for putting beatmatching as a high priority in djing. as long as you don't trainwrek every other song..i'm cool....i'm more into the track selection and how the dj plays with the mixer.

its very odd that you should be saying this stuff about ableton djing lee cuz if you own ableton already you should really try it out. everyone that has seen me dj with ableton are impressed with the results. now that i don't have to beatmatch records anymore i run a drum machine and synth next to the whole thing. and plugg gazillion pluggins onto the return channels.
i have smashing pumpkin's 1979 synced into ableton and i program a drum machine while playing live to create a whole new mix everytime. Djing in ableton is NOTHING like djing with a 12". its a whole different game.
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

woops i didn't see page 2 with so many replys. :shock:
g
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by g »

adam wrote:...There is SOOO much more to DJing than beatmatching. .
absolutely; the technical aspects are the least complicated. you can be bulletproof-perfect with beatmatching and still be an utter crap dj. something no software can solve.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

the silly thing about djing with ableton is: why go through all the trouble of just playing tracks or loops while there's so much more that you can do in ableton
If I would take the Ableton route, I would try to find a middle ground between a live set and a dj-set

I mean, you can completely rewrite tracks, mix them with your own stuff, use more effects, use controllers...

it's like driving your car in 2d gear while you have three more gears waiting to be used

if you only want to play records with a laptop, then use Final Scratch
and even there, you can make edits of tracks, or even make your own remixes to suit your djing...

so many more possibilities that are only waiting to be explored
why just play loops?? :?
g
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by g »

dsat wrote:the silly thing about djing with ableton is: why go through all the trouble of just playing tracks or loops while there's so much more that you can do in ableton
If I would take the Ableton route, I would try to find a middle ground between a live set and a dj-set
exactly!
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

It's all about the music, the mood, and the DANCING! So who cares what is used to play the tracks ;)
dunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dunkel »

:roll: yeah what ever