Mixers for Live Sets?

- ask away
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Mixers for Live Sets?

Post by clubfoot »

To all those playing live - what mixer are you using? What's good and portable?
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

Xone:32 (Allen & Heath)

Nice and small, sounds nice, not overly fragile and has nice tactile control.

3 stereo channels, auxillary... everything a basic live set up would need.

Xone stuff isn't cheap though and there's probably a more cost effective route.
rkampschoer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by rkampschoer »

I use a Xone92, and I use everything from it, including MIDI, to trigger things from my laptop.
I am really happy with the caracteristics of this mixer.
But when I do a really long liveset (several hours), I use both a Xone92 and a Yamaha 03D (with lots of external hardware).

:)
www.robinkampschoer.com
sometimes, less is more...
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

How is the 92's midi?

Is it actually real useful? it didn't seem that there was much there... just a few knobs for controlling fx or what?
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

so, what's the advantages of having a dj mixer for a liveset, on top of a midi controller (say the uc-33)...... I'm just starting to put my sh!t together for my live set, and still trying to understand the different options...
rkampschoer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by rkampschoer »

I use the tap button to set the BPM wheb I need to mix in into another DJ's record (sometimes when I need to blend in my own liveset into somebody else's DJ set).
I use the start/stop button and data knob to change the BPM and start/sytop the software.
I also use the crossfader to scroll (!!!) in the software's main screen, so that I can use on hand to scroll, and the other to trigger/stop the right sequences.
this is a lot faster and more accurate then clicking with the mouse.

I am planning to sometimes use (at least one of) the filter knobs to change parameters in the software when needed.

The reason why I use a 92 instead of a software controller is because I really like the EQ and filters from the Xone.
Also, I use less CPU load from my Mac, although this doesn't make much difference.
It also depends how and which software you use I guess...

Cheers,

Robin

:)
Last edited by rkampschoer on Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.robinkampschoer.com
sometimes, less is more...
jayc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Mixers for Live Sets?

Post by jayc »

clubfoot wrote:To all those playing live - what mixer are you using? What's good and portable?
xone92, rotary model.
midi work fine with ableton live.

xone62, no midi

pioneer dj500, classic eff

.)
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

cyhl wrote:so, what's the advantages of having a dj mixer for a liveset, on top of a midi controller (say the uc-33)...... I'm just starting to put my sh!t together for my live set, and still trying to understand the different options...

I like the use of a DJ mixer because generally, they seem to be more rugged and tactile. You'll find that a non-"dj" console has smaller knobs and things are packed closer together and stuff like that. Crossfaders are kind of useless in a live pa but can be a fun item to have when you're getting gritty and technical. The Xone's have the built in filter which does have some uses as well. I'm not a fan of onboard "fx" though like alot of dj-oriented mixers have..

Make sure to get some mixer that has at least one auxillary send and pick up some outboard fx eventually.. you'd be surprised how much further it will take you're live pa when you have such tools available to you