I need help producing minimal tracks

- ask away
troiton
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by troiton »

all this talk about cracked software is pretty lame. if your serious save some money and buy the software. it's worth it. do you normally steal sh!t when you don't have the money for it?
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

If you're just gonna mess around with it a bit not even knowing if you'll like it or not or would be any good at it, then I wouldn't really spend €500 on some software that you mighty never use again after a few months.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

troiton wrote:do you normally steal sht when you don't have the money for it?
Yes.

I just felt like it. Sorry. Whatever.

Edit: Post 551 woohoo! ...happens to be the last version of Logic that I bought! Still paying for it in fact.
kalesh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kalesh »

troiton wrote:all this talk about cracked software is pretty lame. if your serious save some money and buy the software. it's worth it. do you normally steal sht when you don't have the money for it?
im not gonna answer to you mate, is like talking about religion & politics somehow...
Lance, just do what u feel & do it... in my opinion just get Ableton Live (original pack) without thinking twice, if u wanna get serious into minimal music. cracked software doesnt work good & give u lots of problems..
thats all mate..
peace for all

-=+
isaac
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaac »

Just got into producing. This post helped a lot. Thanks to all who contributed!

I’ve bought Ableton live 5.02 and also Have Fl studio 6. I’m using Fl studio at mo, just playing with what comes with it. I’v since found out Ableton is prob better for production, using VSTs with it of course, however you can use VSTs with FL 6 so I’m not sure what to do. I’ve heard some decent producers use FL for everything + a load of VSTs in there tooi guess, like Audiojack? Then again the mighty Hawtin uses Ableton so I really want to be good at using that to be honest.

As well as all that I know Ableton better as I’ve made a few mixes in it. Was so fun looping loads of things and adding EQ and getting everything EXACTLY how I wanted it. The mix is a bit too clean really, not raw enough but ya gotta have a go at making a “perfect” mix haven’t you. Many fun times had making awesome chuggy loops n gate effects n pan the lot! Playing with up to date technology in the Dj world has to be tried I guess, need so produce and make a decent live set for playing LIVE with my own tracks! long way off though!

Rambling now....

What’s good to make drum loops from scratch with Ableton because normally I have to use tunes I’ve found and bought off Beatport n just play with loops, things just don’t feel like they are mine at all, and rightly so, even though you can create some totally different sounds layering things you didn’t make! Also need to master the art of beat creation!

Want to be good at this! Gunna take a while! So I guess my questions are:

1) Which Prog is best for beginners?: FL or Ableton? (Have decent knowledge of Ableton 5.02 though)

2 )What VSTs are best to buy for Ableton n FL to create:

a) Bass lines (Minimal very repetitive groover basslines, like Hawtins transitions mix!!! Fuckin awesome I have to say!)

b) Drum loops, i.e. a drum machine like the reason re-drum.

c) Freaky synth sounds for extra layers in the tune like the sick wobbly techno sound at 13 m n 52 seconds on Hawtins transitions (extended version) gets me going so much! Awsomeeee!!!

3) Where can I get samples to get going with this stuff!!

Peace n thank to the reply’s I get off you guys!

Isaac

P.s sorry for chatting sh!t in parts, been err partying tonight. Passion is flowing right now, I am serious about production, ding is going well so I need to take things to the next level and if its gunna take year or two to get good I need to start pronto!

Peace.

(Ableton mix i did a while back is here
My Club.....Manchester / London

Micronclub.co.uk
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

I use a combo of Acid and FL myself, but didn't really like Live, so there.

For a very cool package that would compliment any host's stock plugins, I recommend Mode. Gives you drum and fm synthesis + a couple of very freaky delay plugins. It's cheap as well.

http://www.cycling74.com/products/mode

Cheers
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

Measax wrote: The good things in those mags are reviews and sound ideas.
sorry, I have to say NO to this. I won't comment on sound because it's more a matter of personal taste, but in my hopinion the reviews of the prducts of some of this mag are really really bad, expecially for newcomers.
First of all you never read something bad about almost nothing, while on forums there is a lot of bitching about some given brands, a clear sign that not every company has quality products and / or is able to set up a customer service, they give newcomers they have to do with professional suff while handlig toys. secondly you should try to observe the correlation between amount of ads of a given brand and the amount of praise for this brand's product lines in the mag.

Don't understand me wrong, I wasn't either born in a rich family nor I got support to buy the stuff I bought, so it's not a snobbish rant, and I began with shitty/el cheapo gear too trying to figure out if it would have been worht investing lot of cash on it, but please do not tell us we are using pro stuff, it not we eventually will believe it and stop researching. it's even clear for me that not everyone can beging with top notch equipment and that some killer records have been made with very poor setups, at the end it's the idea not the machine but please be aware that product rewievs in those mags are nothing more than advertising, maybe a bit more detailed than usual, but that's it.

Better try to cooperate with experience ppl, do not forget human contact, like trying to make up jam sessions with other ppl making music in the same area, this will give you more inputs that reading ads, in my hopinion.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

i second sorgenkind, the first sponsor of those magazines is the industry!
there are tons of good reviews of behringer and m-audio stuff saying it is fantastic.
80-90% of all gear sold will never play a sigle note on a stage or on a release, it will remain in bedroom studios...

the only good thing about those magazines is that if you read them you can be informed about new gear on the market, but then it will be up to you to find out if it is a good buy or not