I need help producing minimal tracks

- ask away
lance
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

I need help producing minimal tracks

Post by lance »

I need some help. I am new to producing tracks. I have a pc and I need to know what things that I should purchase. I want to do minimal tracls like Minus records, Perlon, and Kompakt. Maybe you guys can help list things that I can buy or check out so I can try to make tracks. Im new to this , so all help is appreciated. I dont own anything yet except a Roland jp-8000
Thanks
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Try out some demo's of software like Cubase, Ableton Live, Fruity Loops...
Then buy the one that you're most comfortable with and start having fun.
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

...or if you're low on cash mess around with some cracked software first.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

that's a cool rave machine.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

ok,

If you are serious I would do this.

Get a subscription to a music mag like music tech or future music (remix really sucks I think). Or computer music is great. Don't wory about minimal, that all comes with sound design, once you understand sampling and synthsis it won't be any problem to get the sounds you want. The good things in those mags are reviews and sound ideas. They give good insight to getting better sound. I would start by getting you kick and bass tight.

SO your on pc. Read some reviews, but I would get two things. ONe is ableton and 2 is sonar. I use ableton an logic and sonar is the only thing on pc that I like the same as logic. sounds good out of box and if you spend the coin you can avoid having to dig back in your pockets for extra pluggins. The new cubase looks good but I have never liked it and I used for a short while and decided it wasn't for me. However some people love it though. Read some reviews and decide. That is a lot of money to invest, but it will be all you ever need. I suggest both because it give you the ability to route stuff and perform live, rewire, and stay fresh with lots of diffrent options. you can midi up your jp8000 with either one. So you can get an audio interface with midi on it to handle that. I would go mackie 400f or a motu ultralight personally. I have an m audio fw 400 and it sucks. There aren't enough routing options. Lucky for me there is an onyx and an alesis 600 in my house also.

A good midi controller will help also. Now m audio makes good ones and I recomend the axiums because the keys feel great, but if you don't want keys and just want faders I would go with a uc33 bc they are cheap now but still get the job done. I got mine for 130 on ebay with shipping.

Last you want speakers, monitor speakers. KRK makes good stuff and so does event. Again, stay away from m audio, they suck. Really i have a pair and they aren't very transparent. My krks work the charm. I would also invest in nice head phones. I have ultrasones and they are remarkable. I got mine on clearnce for a 100 bucks but they normally start at 300. I have the 700s which go down to 10 hz. They are as good as the senheisers which i have listened to many times as well. If you look at charts online the frequency response is about the same.

Everything else you will need will be obvious. A few cables, midi cords, maybe an extra hard drive or two. Two displays helps. a nice power strip. prolly a rack. oh, and If you do get a pluggin I would spend the 150 bucks on psp vintage warmer. anything else you will need you can research or ask questions later.
diefenwald
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by diefenwald »

if you want producing than buy software .... reason is quite good because you have all things you need to produce a track ... more professional, buy Ableton (or Cubase)....(but you have to buy or download free VSTi Plugins for producing Sound. i think you also need a soundcard ?! maybe look for a soundcard with good softwarepack... Abelton lite often included....

For good cheap linear Speakers look for Samson Resolve...

my tipps ... hope thats not so bad ...
:wink:

My Tipps...

Demo : Ableton, Guru (VSTi Drumsynth), FM7, just try the demos and find out. ....
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

buy some decent monitors

expect to pay $400 to $800 a piece or $800-$1600 for the pair

Event and Mackies are great, I'd stay away from the Yamaha NS-10's

set them up with your computer in beteween them
now listen to your fav tracks, get used to the monitors.
how they sound, what frequency's they emphasize

next set up your jp 8000 thru your monitors, listen to it,
build patches, read the manual again, and again.
make new patches, listen to your fav song from various genres
and make sounds like that. (don't sample, build your own sounds)

next you will need something for drums / midi sequencing for the synth
sonar or abelton should work fine for you

the Drumazone is a good 909 vsti.

automat your midi synth with your sequencer
record the tweaks
record the audio

mixdown
play back in cars, boom boxes
big clubs

what is too loud, what is too quiet ?

now go mixdown again and a/b with your favsongs

send to labels and dj it at clubs !
kalesh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kalesh »

try to get some glitch sounds, they work perfect on minimal... distortioned messed up snares... & try making a staright dry bass drum, maybe a basic techno line for beginning, it worked 4 me mate... my recommendation is to get Live (Ableton), if there is no $$$ on ur pocket get a cracked one, but if u dont want to have problems, get the original one.. just play with the basic options & "toys" u got there, its amazing how cool stuff u can get from just palying around w/ it...
after getting some experience w/ it, try future music & computer music mags, they are great 4 introducing u on serious music production... the rest is apt to you, its just good taste. hope u have it bro...
thats it, hope i helped u a little bit...
peace

-=+