holden tools / new vsts

- ask away
medikit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

holden tools / new vsts

Post by medikit »

hey there,
anybody who knows which tools holden is using? i`m just searching for something new...maybe some experimental stuff. i`m into reaktor and battery for some years now. so please tell me. maybe max/msp?
cheers, christian
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

I know this thread is going to go berzerk with "it doesn't matter what you use" + "it's not the tools that create the music" etc. and I agree with them. but on the other hand, it's not of my buisness to tell you what you should do.

having that said; buzz, an old freeware sequencer + sort of modular synth. if you got any experience of trackers (protracker, fasttracker, renoise, whatever) you'll get your head around it pretty fast. atleast the sequencer part.

maybe he has moved on now, but some tracks I've heard in the past really sounded like buzz (and I heard someone confirming this.. don't know how reliable that source was though)

there's this retrigger command you can use in trackers which he uses alot... similar things can be achieved in other ways in any vst host.
Last edited by fredrik_h on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
medikit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by medikit »

thank you. yes i know the "it doesn`t matter what u use"-blabla and i dont wanna copy his sound. but i just want to know if there`s some other great tool, another way to get cool sounds, i don`t know. its just fun to work into something new and thats what making music is for...having fun or not. i tried a lot of free vsts but nothing more than 2 or 3 were cool...
what effects do guys use?
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

medikit wrote:thank you. yes i know the "it doesn`t matter what u use"-blabla but i just want to know if there`s some other great tool, another way to get cool sounds, i don`t know. its just fun to work into something new and thats what music making is for...having fun.
yep, I hear you... as I said, if you think changing from reaktor to buzz will help you - do it. I'll state though that you're better off focusing on reaktor instead. which you can do similar things with anyway with the right skills. :)
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

effects etc, check out the search function... there has been alot of those threads in the "producing" forum.
medikit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by medikit »

okey i`ll check it.
right now i downloaded reaktor-ensembles from http://www.programchild.biz/. ill test them today.:)
john_masti
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by john_masti »

one think that a friend of mine told me who talks with james is that......

he never used buzz for his productions......is just that the developer of buzz is a really good friend and he putted his site link for his program.....so the thing that holden writes with buzz is just a myth...

his main programm is cubase.....as for the vsts......i don't know much of them but for sure kontakt

cheers...
i am a fucken bird!!!!! :)
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

okay, but how about those retriggs in alot of his older tracks? sounds very tracker/buzz to me atleast... but maybe you're right.