need some advice. SH-101 - Nord Lead2 - Mackie Onyx

- ask away
PatStormont
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by PatStormont »

If i were you i'd forget the drummachines and just buy synths, and use them to synthesise drum sounds. Especially seeing as you sequence in ableton anyway.

I'm gonna sell my machinedrum and start building a modular for my drum sounds.
digitalbunny
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by digitalbunny »

PatStormont wrote:If i were you i'd forget the drummachines and just buy synths, and use them to synthesise drum sounds. Especially seeing as you sequence in ableton anyway.

Cool ... sell it to me.
mattdubois
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mattdubois »

"If i were you i'd forget the drummachines and just buy synths, and use them to synthesise drum sounds"

Exactly

I owned a 909 and sold it to get a machinedrum and was 100% glad I did as the SPS-1 is basically a synth stuck in a XOX beatbox casing....borrowed a jomox for about 3 months and thought it was totally boring and weak....owned a Virus B and loved it and got great drum sounds from it, but have always wanted a Nord as well...have been craving the monomachine since I first saw it as it would provide unique and crazy leads, bass, pads, misc and give me back some of the machinedrum drums I no longer have (except as samples in my library)

mackie may not sound killer, but they are one of the most rock-solid and stable brands around, but I only really trust Digidesign and a few others for i/o needs (MOTU, RME, etc)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

PatStormont wrote:If i were you i'd forget the drummachines and just buy synths, and use them to synthesise drum sounds. Especially seeing as you sequence in ableton anyway.

i think the machinedrum is a superb instrument, but you're totally right, you dont need a drum machine if you've got synths, i synthesize all my percussive sounds. you can get way more variation. i only use my 909 for kick and snare, and even then i put my 909 kick through a sherman filterbank to get more variation and control, and use the snare very sparingly as its such an identifiable sound.
i'm going in an all analogue/modular direction to, i've tried almost every combination of digital / virtual analogue / analogue, and i always go back to my 101 for big fat warm bass, moog filters etc, i just dont accept that you cant tell the difference. build your own percussion synthesizer with modules, they are hardly anymore expensive than software plug-ins, and you can create a unique set-up thats your own.
briobox
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by briobox »