newbie music enthousiasts

- ask away
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

newbie music enthousiasts

Post by plaster »

i would like to point out on a bit of an issue going around these corners of the board which is a lack of understanding or actually self exploration of possibillities. before you decide to post silly topics like, how to make a minimal bassline, minimal drumkit or what software is the best for techno. please be advised...any instrument, drumkit or software has it's own advantages and disadvantages, but it all comes down to our own ability to give that magic touch. forthermore...the best sounding drumkits come off multilayered parts, so don't expect to make a kickass drum or hihat with just one sample. as the basslines go, listen to alot of music, try to emulate. it could help you improove your skills. afterall, some of us started off alone with noone to ask about ableton or compression or how to make a good bassline. it comes down to your own imagination and skills. please don't expect to get wiser after your topic had 4 pages with all kind of ideas. i'm not saying those ideas are bad, just that you use your own head. stop for a minute and think what can you do. the magic comes when you sit down with yourself and explore. i believe that's the best possible way for you to understand alot of principles in music. when you have someone else explaning the tricks it's not that fun as you discover them alone. so i'll say this once again...please be patient with yourself, know that music making doesn't come thru night, but thru years and years of exploring, hard work and failure. yes, as richie once said in future music interview. some of the best results come as failure. learn on your mistakes..you'll never know what good can come off them. k, that's all from me...i hope this little rant or whatever can/will reduce such topics for a while. thank you.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

True say....

Cant bare it when people ask silly questions like 'how do you make a minimal bassline?' Pure lazyness if you ask me!? Just open up your music program and enjoy. The best part of making music is finding new stuff out yourself. Countless amounts of times i have come across something new off my own back and to be honest its a lot more enjoyable knowing that YOU have done it.
Silky
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Silky »

I think alot of why people come and ask questions is that after a quick play around in reason,cubase whatever, they realise that it is actually quite hard to make a decent beat and want alot of clarification on how others make there drum beats step by step so they can emulate and get a starting point to carry on from.

I agree that most things should be learnt by the individual and thats how you develop your own style, the only questions people should really ask is advice on software.

Making music is quite scary at first because the music you first make does pretty much suck
oe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oe »

actually i'd rather someone killed those 'mnml bassline' topics and made this rant a sticky.
codecks
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by codecks »

but then again, that's why we have forums.
I agree that one should think twice and look around for a similar thread before posting. Also, sticky threads named "Readme first" or "Forum guidelines" are interesting to have within each forum.

But don't be fooled, there will always be people showing up with question that have been answered a dozen times.

As for the 'how to make music' on an artistical level an the 'how to make music' on a technical level, maybe a forum split could be a solution.

Anyway I'm not anti-such or such question. As long as the main topic is respected I think everyone has the right to ask a question, unless stated differently in the forum guidelines. From the moment you start forbidding certain 'related' topics, some people will hesitate to post some questions, even with interesting content. This is the first step towards an elitist place wich is in my opinion at the opposite of an open-minded forum.

Diversity is the key (even if people show up with the same questions)

Grtz,

Dimitri
oe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oe »

i admit i exaggerated a bit :)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

codecks wrote:From the moment you start forbidding certain 'related' topics, some people will hesitate to post some questions, even with interesting content. This is the first step towards an elitist place wich is in my opinion at the opposite of an open-minded forum.

yes you are completely right, but i don't want to forbid or make this place elitist. the idea was to gently poin out on some things before they make such topics.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
digitalbunny
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by digitalbunny »

plaster wrote:yes you are completely right, but i don't want to forbid or make this place elitist. the idea was to gently poin out on some things before they make such topics.
I think its already a bit elitist.
It's hard to make a thread in this section (which for some reason is called 'production') without getting the answer "oh you can use whatever, we won't provide an actual answer... we're much to musically developed for that".
For instance, i started a thread asking for some feedback from people that had used 2 specific soft-synths (no, not making a 'mnml bassline' or 'how do i write a track and get released in 3 days?') and all i got was a snide, chin-stroking response.

One of the main reasons i signed up to this forum was to read about what people were using, what gave them the best results and to get some advice occasionally.
I think its a telling attribute that the most frequented section of the forum is the 'liveset' area.

I think its a bit of a shame really.