Mixdown Tips

- ask away
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Mixdown Tips

Post by Torque »

I don't consider myself to have a "Golden Ear" or to have a perfect technique for mixing but here are a few things i have learned:

Here is what I listen and look for in any mix:

1) Is the mix balanced? That is, are track levels fairly balanced across the board or are there some that are too loud in the overall mix?

(As a side note..... There is more than one way to get a track to cut through a mix without having to raise the volume fader.)

2) Has a "pocket" been created in which the main vocal can sit without having to fight for the same space with other instruments?

3) Are the individual tracks tweaked so they can be heard in the mix? The idea is for them to not be fighting against the other tracks while occupying their own "space".

4) Do the kick and /or bass tracks sound "boomy" in the mix? And which instrument (i.e., kick or bass) is carrying the low end of the tune?

5) Are tracks being "washed out" by other tracks due to ambience getting in the way. The use of pre-delay and high/low pass filtering is key to getting the ambience out of the way of the individual tracks being sent to it.

6) How does the mix sound when checking for mono compatability? Are there any problems with anti-phase, phase cancellation, etc.? This is key when mixing, IMO.

There are other things, but the above are some of the first things I check for when listening to a mix or mixing a project myself.

Here are some "Rule of Thumb" tips to use when mixing.....

1) If you want something to stick out in a mix, use a highpass filter to roll off some of the lows.

2) If you want something to blend in in a mix, use a lowpass filter to roll off some of the highs.

3) When using EQ..... Use a narrow "Q" (i.e., bandwidth) when cutting and a wide "Q" when boosting frequencies. This principle applies to complimentary EQing as well.

4) Also along the lines of EQing tracks..... "Cut" if you are trying to make things sound better. "Boost" if you are trying to make things sound different.

5) Use a highpass filter after effects. This will help the track to be "sit" in the mix better as well as cut down on any "wash out" that can occur.

6) You cannot cut/boost something that is not already present in a track in the first place.

7) If something sounds "boomy", cut some at around 50Hz.

8) If something sounds "muddy", cut some at around 200Hz to 300Hz.

9) If something sounds "honky", cut some at around 500Hz.

10) Always check your stereo mix with PAZ or equivalent analyzer to make sure frequencies stay in check.

Here are some pointers regarding ambience (i.e., reverb).....

1) Ambience works better when timed to the tempo of the track.

2) Short ambience tails "push back" a sound in the mix.

3) Long ambience tails makes a sound "float" in a mix.

4) Reducing the ambient time of a plate or a room verb to 0.3-0.6 seconds will often make an instrument fuller and bigger sounding, as well as less "in-your-face" without it being obvious that ambience is being used.

5) Always follow ambience with a highpass filter to control any "wash out" from occurring.

6) Pre-delay is key in helping a track cut through and sit better in the mix.

7) Combining a delay with ambience will create movement to a track and make it more interesting to listen to.

8) Substitute a delay for ambience. They will give movement to a track and sound cleaner for the track as a whole.

My word is not law, but i thought some of you could benefit from this info.
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

these are some good tips, a nice checklist to go through when finalizing a tune. thanks for posting.

i'd like a little more info on applying pre-delay and how that is helping the mix?
tsod
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsod »

yes.. thanks for posting.. gonna try out a few things ;)
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

ooh nice torque. i like the idea of filtering post fx to clean up the sound and get the mix less muddy. i will definetly be trying these out later today.
here is one of my favorite eq tutorials. it was made for dnb producers but i am sure you all can make it useful. http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.ph ... did=399049 it's the best tutorial i have found as of yet. really in depth and open minded.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

revy wrote:these are some good tips, a nice checklist to go through when finalizing a tune. thanks for posting.

i'd like a little more info on applying pre-delay and how that is helping the mix?
im pretty sure pre-delay is used to give a sound more depth. So it provides a little more room in your mix
bodysong
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bodysong »

interessant !

Merci.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Pre-delay on reverb determines when the effect starts after the initial sound. You can use pre-delay to set the ambience created by reverb only in the spaces in-between where a sound hits. Sometimes it can help clean up you mix and keep it from getting muddy because you won't have the reverb stacked on top of the sound it's effecting which can sometimes cause a phase canceling effect making the sound quieter. If you set the timing on the pre delay to tempo sometimes it can add to the groove as well. A trick like this could work well in minimal because there is alot more empty space that needs to be filled in order to make a track sound fuller.
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

ah nice, some fun stuff to play around with, thanks!