Steve Rachmad

i-am-an-exit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Steve Rachmad

Post by i-am-an-exit »

Steve Rachmad.. aka Sterac, Ignacio, Scorp, Sterac Electronics, Parallel 9, Black Scorpion, Tons of Tones.

Has always been a huge influence on my sound. His stuff may not be considered strictly mnml, but for me a lot of it is... he makes his tracks from a very minimal palette of sounds, and often uses uses just a 909 or 808 for percussion. The parallel 9 stuff is in a basic channel sort of vibe. Ignacio stuff like Virton, Chios, Organa, Organon are very stripped down, clean, precise and epic. Older stuff like Tons of Tones "Activa" and his Fragile release as Black Scorpion rock it. Not to mention his album "Secret life of machines" on 100%, which will be re-released this year (finally!), along with a brand new album in the same style. The king of the filter sweep. Here's his bio from his site.

Rachmad’s passion for music awakens at an early age. By the age of 12, he buys his first records and starts experimenting with track editing. He starts to mix, remix and cut-and-paste their parts with an open reel tape deck. Soon after, music becomes his main drive. Initially an excellent student, he starts neglecting homework and hides in his bedroom—which will until late 1990s be his studio, where he produced various techno classics, among which his famous Sterac album Secret Life of Machines.

His first cut-and-paste releases came out in the mid-1980s, amid which also the one created for a hip-house/dance artist Tony Scott. At the age of 15, Rachmad has his first DJ gig at a small Amsterdam club: he plays disco.

In his early teens, Rachmad works as a newspaper boy, spending all his earnings on records and musical equipment. In 1985, at the age of 16, he buys his first piece of hardware—a TR-808. This would be the base stone of his later professional studio, which remains mostly analogue up to present time.

Rachmad’s early musical aspirations went towards 1980s disco and electro; works of artists as Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis (former Time members), The System, Arthur Baker, etc. Their music will remain his reference up to date, for its exquisite technical qualities and a soulful “black feel.”

In 1986, his attention is captured by the house music; specifically, by the new sound coming mostly from Chicago and Detroit, from the artists as Mr. Fingers and Derrick May. Accordingly, his style takes a new direction. He would soon be found releasing on Fragile (sub-label of Transmat, ran by Derrick May) and Underwater (ran by Darren Emerson).

In the early 1990s, Rachmad’s production opus grows rapidly. He releases on labels as Tresor, 100% Pure, Fragile, M-Plant, Underwater, etc. He also becomes a respected remixer, up to the present remixing more than a hundred tracks. His releases are signed under various aliases as Black Scorpion, Adverse Match, A Scorpion’s Dream, Dreg, Ignacio, Parallel 9, Publiq Space, Scorp, Sterac, Sterac Electronics, Tons of Tones, VCP, etc. Few of those pseudonyms are active today as well: Adverse Match, Dreg, Ignacio, Parallel 9, Scorp, Sterac and Sterac Electronics.

In 1996, with the release of his Secret Life of Machines album, his DJ career starts taking Global proportions. Until today, Rachmad has traveled the World, spinning at major clubs and events. He occasionally plays 80s disco and electro, but predominantly techno. His releases continue into the present, on labels as Music Man, CLR, Jericho, Sino, etc. He remixes artists like The Advent, Chris Liebing, Vince Watson, etc. He also runs three labels: Scorp, Ion and Interpersonal //XP. His productions as well as DJ sets remain recognizable for deep, groovy sounds that tend to rest on impressive strings, melodies, funk and soul.

In the latest years, next to his characteristic techno sound, he also actively focuses on electro, stripping it down to the old-school feel. His latest Sterac Electronics remix of the vocal track Love Sweet Love (by Clashing Egos), and the “Night Heat” release on Music Man Records have ended up in the record bags of a wide variety of artists, from techno, to minimal, house and electro. He re-confirms his reputation as an artist with exquisite ear for technical qualities of sound, always returning to his soulful roots and maintaining the warmth of analogue-produced music.
artifexdelphinus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Secret Life of Machines

Post by artifexdelphinus »

I am realy sorry to tell you that the journalist who wrote the interview made a mistake about Secret Life of Machines. We reacted on it, but the article already went into print. The thing is that there is an enormous demand for re-releasing this album, and if you look at it profit-wise, it would be a good one to re-release.. BUT, Steve really wants to keep this album special and rare, and hence he is not planning to re-release it, at least not for now. So those of you who have your copies, take care of them well. The thought of re-releasing has definitely crossed our mind, and we considered vinyl and electronic format, but for now the decision is made: we will not re-release it, and definitely not this year.

If Steve ever changes his mind, we will announce it on the website http://www.steverachmad.com . In the meantime, get ready for the new album on Music Man. Like i-am-an-exit says, Steve has always been minimal in some sense, and the new album resembles that too.

Cheers,
Manuela
http://www.artifexdelphinus.com
http://www.steverachmad.com
Nikola
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Nikola »

I see it as a shame that he personally does not want to have this album (and the other few Sterac releases on 100% Pure) re-released. Especially for the people who were not around yet when it came out. Secret Life Of Machines is timeless and should be made available for everyone. I just don't understand why he is against re-releasing old material that still sounds fresh today...........

Yes, I need a copy..... :roll:
artifexdelphinus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by artifexdelphinus »

Nikola wrote:I see it as a shame that he personally does not want to have this album (and the other few Sterac releases on 100% Pure) re-released. Especially for the people who were not around yet when it came out. Secret Life Of Machines is timeless and should be made available for everyone. I just don't understand why he is against re-releasing old material that still sounds fresh today...........

Yes, I need a copy..... :roll:
Hi Nikola,

:)
Secret life of machines IS a special album, and the fact that it's so rare and almost impossible to get makes it even more special. Steve feels that re-releasing it would make it less special. Also, although his releases from the past ARE part of him and most of them remain timeless, he does see them as part of the PAST.

Again, the idea of re-releasing is not 100% signed off forever and ever :) However, for now it is. Besides, he has too many important releases coming up, and we have to make sure other things don;t interfere with it. Steve Rachmad album will come out this year, Sterac Electronics album in 2007. Perhaps "Secret life of Machines"will be re-released in 2008.. But that's a long way from now, and nothing is really sure..

I'm sorry for disappointing you. The idea was never to deprive anyone of anything. It's just that this album is his little baby and if he feels that not re-releasing it for now adds to its value, than we have to respect that :)

But we keep on hoping!! :)

Peace ;)
Nikola
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Nikola »

Hi Manuela,

In general I understand the emotion of exclusiveness, but I kind of regret that this album is kept a 'secret', because it is thát good. It is not very well known by the newer generation, especially the ones that still use the dancefloors as main source of getting familiar with new (can still be old though) music...

Living in the past might not be the most innovative and commercial thing to do, especially not with new albums coming out. Although the Sterac track on the new 100% Pure album does sound more oldish than newish...

I am happy owning Thera and Asphyx, but will keep my eyes out for Secret Life Of Machines. Hope it will not be bootlegged shortly after purchasing it for $$$ on e-bay.... :wink:
Lex_Osk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Lex_Osk »

his releases as sterac and ignacio are legendary...

Ignacio - Organa ---> that track is defo in my top 10 of all times.listen to it,and you'll know why