Barem

MANIKCHILE
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MANIKCHILE »

Excelent Set, Barem rocks, great music, nice minimal...
Keep on rocking!

Saludos de Chile!
ibbjamin
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ibbjamin »

Hats off to Barem for the Campo Madness EP. :P One of the finest on the label thus far!
betzy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by betzy »

interview taken from www.defcore.net

enjoy that!!!

Could you please introduce yourself in a few words?
My real name is Mauricio. I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I'm 22 years old, and I love doing nothing.

I personally find your music deep, rolling, mental and very minimal. Could you describe it in your own words?
I try not to describe music with words... When I do so, I can't sit on my studio to make it because i just wonder why, where, when, etc. Apart from that, I don't think that I'm able to describe my own music, because I have a totally different perception than the listeners. I guess that everybody should close their eyes and listen without trying to find words.

How do you come to play electronic music... and minimal techno?
When I started listening to electronic music around 6 years ago, I was into commercial house music, and from that point, I started finding more "underground" styles and getting bored over and over until I got into minimal. This is the only style in electronic music that didn't make me fell bored yet. And of course, what I used to consider "underground" on my way to minimal techno, is not really underground anymore and I don't even think it was by that time.
Some djs influenced me a lot and made me want to try doing it by myself. I was after finding minimal house and techno when I decided to start, as these were pretty unknown styles in my country, and I wanted to be very fresh and original as a dj/producer, even if they were only 10 people in the dancefloor.

Who are the artists that influence you the most right now?
There's a big amount of guys making amazing music now a days that influence and inspire me all the time. I always get influenced by the last one that I discover, or if some of the guys that I already know do something new that calls my attention. My biggest influences in the past 2 years were artists like Plastikman, Sleeparchive, Matt Dear, Mark Houle, Someone Else, Robag, Sweet n Candy, Alex Under, and some others. Also dj sets by Magda, Ricardo, Richie, and some advanced music from the past, like Mike Ink, Dan Bell, Robert Hood, etc.
Today I get influenced by new people like Dario Zenker, Ryan Crosson, Damian Schwartz, Lee Curtis, Glimpse, Miss fitz, Easy Changes, Seph, George S, Franco Cinelli, and tons of others... I guess I get ideas and take elements from a lot of people and make my own sound based on what i like of other artists.

You have been recently signed on M_nus records. Could you please tell us what's the deal?
Hmmm... I don't really like to talk about that. That's a private thing between the label and I.

Talking about M_nus, mimimal techno is a huge phenomenon here in Europe. Could you tell us how the South American scene is?
Still growing slowly, but it's looking good. Argentina is a country that historically has respected his own artists after they were successful in Europe or North America. I guess that if we (Franco Cinelli, Seph, George S, Violett, Funzion, Gurtz, Dilo, Sr Replicante, etc.) get successful enough abroad, the minimal techno scene will grow faster. It shouldn't be like this, but there are also tons of more important things that shouldn't be like they are, right?

Few artists that come from South America, like Luciano or Ricardo Villalobos, are very important here. Do you consider them as "godfather" for your music? are you influenced by them?
I have a huge respect and admiration for Ricardo and Luciano. I consider them two of the main reasons of why minimal is big now a days. I don't see a lot of them in my music, but I would be silly if i thought that they are not there. In a way I'm proud about them being South Americans, but I don't really care where people come from, as long as I like them and their music.

You have records on several labels and you recently played your live act on tour in Europe, but you are a DJ too. Please tell us what's on your turntables actually?
I always go to my dj gigs with almost all my records in my laptop, so I play whatever i think it goes well on the situation and time. If i have to mention some artists that are always there now, I could say Pan Pot, Easy Changes, JPLS, Seph, Dario Zenker and Mark Henning. But this may change on my next gig... you never know.

About the tour... was it the first time you go to Europe? How do you found the crowd here in the clubs?
It was my first time as an artist. The crowd vary depending on the country, city, and club of course... But I could say that the people in general have more background than in South America, and they are really enthusiastic most of the time. But anyway, I also played in some places where I thought I was at home, or in North America, in good or bad ways...

What was your favourite venue in Europe?
I think Watergate in Berlin is my favourite club, but I still have to play in many others to make a final decision.

And what would be the venue you would die to play?
I'm very curious about Panorama Bar in Berlin, Fabric in London, and Robert Johnson in Offenbach. I really hope to play in at least one of them next year. I would also die to play in festivals like Time Warp and Sonar...

If you invite me in your house, what kinds of music - other than electro - will I find?
Silence most of the time or TV in the background. But when there's music, you can find jazz, bossa, trippy rock, dub, and depending on my mood in that day, some mellow stuff.

What would be the perfect line up for a party?
Ricardo, Richie, Luciano, Magda and Zip (including Sense Club and R2R moments)

Are you planning new records? New tour?
Yes, I'm planning and ep on Minus before summer, and an album on Founsound by the end of 2007. I'm just back home from a 7 months tour around North America, South America and Europe. So now I'm gonna be off for a while, to work on tracks, a brand new live act, and some beach time. I'll be back on tour by the beginning of April.

And finally... do you think Lionel Messi will be better than Maradona ?
Hopefully... I'm sure that it's gonna be easier if less people compare them and just let him grow. I hope that if we don't think too much about that, some day we'll realize that he is. Anyway, if that happens, we'll not be able to compare them as they played in a different time on history, like Maradona and Pele. But... even if we can't compare, I wanna leave something very clear: MARADONA WAS BETTER THAN PELE!! :)
igorshmigor
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by igorshmigor »

thanks, betzy! looks like mauricio is a really nice guy
m jaco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by m jaco »

Barem's tracks are sick. Very good hard freaky minimal shiiit. Always nice basslines 8)
minimim
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by minimim »

I really have to listen to him in a good fucking soundsystem.
It's ridiculous how hard we try.
junglejuice
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by junglejuice »

Feliz Cumpleaños, Barem!

:)
MINIBUS
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MINIBUS »