Marco Carola

Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

audiophile did a good job at explaining what I was trying to say. Part of me didn't know the correct way to say what I wanted to say, and the other part of me just wants to fck with you and get you worked up for nothing.
audiophile
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by audiophile »

best one in the series...in my opinion...some beautiful tracks on here

audiophile
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by audiophile »

isabella wrote:
audiophile wrote:so while Thomas is not shy in his opinions and observations...I do feel that he does have some validity in some of what he is saying...maybe just a little more finesse would be in order (sorry dude :D )
Yes, Thomas was kind of rude and disrespectful in my opinion.
DISRESPECT IS DOO-DOO :!:
v404
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by v404 »

Marco Carola is dope! I loved his Open System 3x12. He's got some serious gems. I guess I'm too new to know his really old stuff but I do know hes pretty versatile. He made some great breakbeat techno that I used to beat the hell out of..

Someone suggest some of his good minimal stuff already...
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

I think Marco Carola is quite like Adam Beyer. They are both well known for their harder, more loopy techno in the past, but they have both always produced minimal work as well, and are both doing more minimal stuff recently. However, unless you know that, you will just base your opinions on their reputations as harder techno producers, and so be scared away ("too techno").

To be honest, I think there is a lot of truth in what Thomas D and Jack Thomas is saying, but yeah, there´s a better way to say these things. I do know a few people who used to bang out their hard techno, and now listen to nothing but minimal, but who claim that they always liked minimal more, it was always their real passion, that they are not just following trends etc etc etc Bullshit. These are the people who loved harder loopy techno, then tribal techno, then electro style techno, now minimal, next whatever happens to be trendy in 6 months time. These are the people that Thom D is complaining about, and he is right.

(Personally, I used to listen to harder techno, and I thought minimal was sh!t. Ok, I liked the Maurizio style dubby tunes, but I thought that a lot of minimal just sounded like house music, which was forbidden to me!!! As I got older, my tastes changed, I didn´t want to listen to mind numbing schranz at home anymore, and I started to listen to slower, more "intelligent" techno. My turning point was DE9 Closer to the edit, and I´ve been a minimal fan ever since).
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

Rich wrote:To be honest, I think there is a lot of truth in what Thomas D and Jack Thomas is saying, but yeah, there´s a better way to say these things. I do know a few people who used to bang out their hard techno, and now listen to nothing but minimal, but who claim that they always liked minimal more, it was always their real passion, that they are not just following trends etc etc etc Bullshit. These are the people who loved harder loopy techno, then tribal techno, then electro style techno, now minimal, next whatever happens to be trendy in 6 months time. These are the people that Thom D is complaining about, and he is right.
Dude you can't generalize, not everyone has been following that pattern you are talking about.

Ok, so in this case I'm a girl (oh wow!) and I don't have a single loopy techno record (wanna come home and check?). I had the "luck?" to get to know minimal techno first than hard or tribal techno stuff. And I hate electro. Does that means I'm talking bullshit?

I know exactly what you mean about people claiming minimal is their lifes and blah blah, and people that just like to party and thinks the music is awesome whatever the trend is at the moment. It bothers me too, because most of them don't have an extensive electronic music knowlegde. Or worse, they don't have any music knowledge at all.

But it's all very relative still. Maybe the very first electronic music record that got into your hands was a hard loopy techno record. You loved it and you got interested in such music.
And maybe at that same time I was getting some vladislav delay record or whatever and I got interested in such things.

Everyone has its own story and no one here has the right to judge that.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

isabella wrote:Or worse, they don't have any music knowledge at all.
Honestly, I tend to think most minimal-bandwagon jumpers have little to no musical knowledge. Not saying by any means that you're one of them isabella. I'm just saying, it's hard to deny that there a lot of minimal DJs who simply just play the latest perlon and latest sleeparchives in their set to play it safe. They don't have the years at parties and behind the decks behind them to realize you can completely change up the mood by playing some house or heavier techno and still keep a relatively chill vibe. The people I've gone out of my way to slag the most are those who simply switch to minimal and minimal only just to play it safe since its a trend right now.

DJs like Marco Carola and Richie Hawtin are in a class of their own. They realize minimal is a very amazing and powerful genre, but on its own can be rather lacking. It's not uncommon for either of them to toss in some house or loopier techno tracks to take it to the next level. I think their diversity is what makes them the stars they are.
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

totally agree thomas