mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lunkey »

digitaladdicted
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by digitaladdicted »

patrick bateman wrote:
Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:The ignorance gives me a good laugh for the day.
You give us a good laugh...
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
same here too.
synthetic. minimal. eyeware.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

patrick bateman wrote: You give us a good laugh...
Nice one, loads of thought put into it I see. Perhaps next time you should think beyond the initial thought when it comes to posting a reply.
isabella wrote: Not necesarly, i listened to loop mono techno or whatever you want to call it at the same time that i listened to some other more minimal stuff. I don't like what we call now minimal more just because it's a trend or because everyone else likes it now. I always liked it better.
How easy it is to jugde without knowing....
That's what I call ignorance Thomas....
Hahaha, oh how I love to hear the same story and comments over and over. "Yeah, I used to listen to hard techno but I've always really loved minimal more," or something similar. I'm not saying you're lying, and I'm not saying you're telling the truth but you can't disagree that's how most people sound these days. They're all one-note ponies.

Don't get me wrong, I think a night of loopy techno is boring as fck, but so is a night of just "minimal" techno too. I think the key to the party is to play it all in one set and create peaks and valleys.

But back to the subject at hand here...Carola. Have you guys heard him play lately? He plays the same trendy minimal sh!t the lot of you guys play lately so why all the hating on him? Or for lack of better words, insisting he still plays "hard techno"?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:Nice one, loads of thought put into it I see. Perhaps next time you should think beyond the initial thought when it comes to posting a reply.
Dear Thomas,
I think I used the same amount of effort in that comment, as you have used in most of your comments in this thread.
Leave it out man. We're not going to agree on this one. I think you're way off in what you're saying about 'us', and what you're saying really isn't correct, but I don't think it will be possible to convince you of that.

Take care though.

Patrick
audiophile
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by audiophile »

dersuuzala wrote:i'm not very familiar with his techno work, but i love the question series.
i'm with you on this...they weren't ALL amazing but there were 2 or 3 that were excellently deep & minimal....

I could kinda hear both sides of the coin here....I can feel both what Isabella & Mr. Bateman are saying, and I can also identify with what Thomas is saying as well. I think this is the bi-product of genre militance and the insistance that something MUST be Techno or MUST be minimal...what about GOOD MUSIC period.

To say that that Marco Carola is "too techno-y" is kinda of a blunder isn't it? Is minimal NOT techno? In my opinion...minimal is a flavor...its a style...its an aesthetic...not a GENRE. (And if its NEEDS to be labelled....the music discussed on this entire forum is minimal TECHNO-PERIOD)

Take Rob Hood, for instance.....in my humble opinion...he's the Godfather of minimal techno...although some of his output may not resemble that aesthetic.

And I think that's where Thomas' frustration comes into play....there's LOTS of "minimal" techno(in this case) that doesn't fall into the "current"(or trendy according to Thomas) description of what MINIMAL music is...Regis "Speak to Me" is as EQUALLY "minimal" as Trentmoller "Blah Blah"...why, becuase the composition...the aesthetic is minimal in its nature....but, what would happen if someone here posted a mix with Regis and Rob Hood tracks in it? Probably:

"move this to Links please"

harder "banging" techno cannot be minimal?? Lets not be narrow-minded..

so while Thomas is not shy in his opinions and observations...I do feel that he does have some validity in some of what he is saying...maybe just a little more finesse would be in order (sorry dude :D )

As of late...I have been finding much of the trendy "minimal" music thats coming out...rather un-inspiring...

just my two cents..
thanks for your time :lol:
vlad

or....move to Berlin where they call minimal...HOUSE! But we'll save that for another discussion..another day...
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

audiophile wrote:so while Thomas is not shy in his opinions and observations...I do feel that he does have some validity in some of what he is saying...maybe just a little more finesse would be in order (sorry dude :D )
Yes, Thomas was kind of rude and disrespectful in my opinion.
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Ok, everyone. Calm down :) Genre quarrels are yesterday's news (I know it.)

Back to Marco Carola perhaps?
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

ye. carola made some gems. question 7 for example. and the stuff he made with beyer.

saw him dj:ing 2003, was quite uninspiring though.