Robert Moog, The Moog Synthesizer

AbstraKt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Robert Moog, The Moog Synthesizer

Post by AbstraKt »

Robert Moog was born in 1934 in New York City. When he was a child, his mother encouraged him to study music, so he learned to play the piano. Meanwhile, he spent a great deal of time with his father as well, with whom he liked to tinker with electronics. By the time Moog had reached his teenage years, these two interests had converged and building simple novelty electronic musical instruments had become a hobby.

In 1949, Moog built his first theremin from the instructions he found in a magazine. He was fascinated with the theatrical and mysterious sounds the instrument, invented by Russian inventor Leon Theremin in the 1920s, could create. The theremin is played by waving your hands in the vicinity of two metal rods, controlling pitch and volume, that are attached to a nondescript wooden cabinet. It is very large and difficult to play, thus its popularity faded rather quickly.

Moog, however, maintained his interest in the theremin throughout his college years. After he received a BS in physics from Queens College and a BS in electrical engineering from Columbia University, Moog pursued a doctoral degree in engineering physics at Cornell University. While he was still a student, Moog founded the R.A. Moog Company as a part-time business to design and build electronic musical instruments. He also published an article for the January, 1961 issue of the magazine 'Electronics World.' After the issue was published, Moog sold 1,000 theremin kits out of his three-room apartment.

Eventually Moog began producing instruments of his own design. After toying with the idea of a portable guitar amplifier, Moog turned to the synthesizer. During a convention in 1963, Moog was introduced to the idea of building new circuits that would be capable of producing sound. In 1964 he was invited to exhibit his circuits at the Audio Engineering Society Convention. Shortly afterwards Moog completed his PhD and began to manufacture electronic music synthesizers, and it was not long before synthesizers went from being computers to instruments that could be found in any music store.

Moog designed his first synthesizers in collaboration with the composers Herbert A. Deutsch, and Walter Carlos. Significantly, Moog's was the first synthesizer to use attack-decay-sustain-release (ADSR) envelopes, set with four different knobs, which control the qualities of a sound's onset, intensity and fade. Like many of his designs, Moog's envelope generators became a basic component of later synthesizers. The sound was monophonic -- one note at a time -- but that was enough, since studio recording techniques could create whole orchestras from single notes by the late 1960s. Moog's synthesizer also boasted the voltage-controlled lowpass filter that came to be known as the Moog filter, capable of making a variety of full horn, string and vocal timbres. The filter was patented in 1968.

After the success of Carlos's album "Switched on Bach," entirely recorded using Moog synthesizers, Moog's instruments leapt into commercial popular music. In 1971, the name of his company was changed to Moog Music, Inc., and in 1973 the company became a division of Norlin Music, Inc. Moog served as president of Moog Music until 1977. The Micromoog was the last synthesizer created by Moog to bear his name. After Norlin took over his company, including synthesizer design, Moog spent the rest of his days at the company designing guitar effects and guitar amplifiers. He left Moog Music in 1977, blaming corporate politics for his departure.

Moog and his family moved from New York State to western North Carolina in 1978. There he founded Big Briar, Inc. for the purpose of designing and building novel electronic music equipment, especially new types of performance control devices. At the International Computer Music Conference in 1982, he introduced the multiple-touch-sensitive keyboard, developed with John Eaton of Indiana University. In addition to responding to the downward motion of a key, the keyboard also sensed the horizontal position of the finger playing it. From 1984 to 1988, Moog was a full-time consultant and Vice President of New Product Research for Kurzweil Music Systems.

Moog's awards include the Silver Medal of the Audio Engineering Society; the Trustee's Award of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences; the Billboard Magazine Trendsetter's Award; and the SEAMUS award from the Society of Electroacoustic Music in the United States. Today Moog lives in Asheville, North Carolina where he continues to serve as president of Big Briar. The company is currently working on building theremins, MIDI interfaces, effects modules and electronic musical instrument kits. Moog's newest project is an "interactive piano" that uses a touch screen the size of a laptop to take the place of sheet music. The piano has 128 sounds, including a digitally sampled Steinway grand, and 256 tracks for recording.

Modular Moog Synthesizer 1967

Another Modular Moog Synthesizer

Moog Prodigy Synthesizer

Poly-Moog Synthesizer

Multi Moog Synthesizer

Moog 960 Analogue Sequencer
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
- Plato -

"Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things. "
-Denis Diderot-
AbstraKt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by AbstraKt »

Documentary

MOOG
By Hans Fjellestad

A documentary about Robert Moog, the legendary inventor of the modern synthesizer. The film explores ideas of creativity, design, interactivity, spirituality and collaboration.

Synopsis

I first touched a Moog synthesizer when I was eight. It was a Minimoog model D that was part of an interactive exhibit at a museum in San Diego. I fell in love with not only the sound but the feel of it, the weighty knobs and switches. I made a connection.

Many have made similar connections with Moog instruments – the inventor himself is a much beloved cult hero – so the prospect of making a feature documentary on Bob Moog was daunting. This subject matter is sacred ground in the minds of Moog fans. I certainly wanted to respect Moog aficionados but I also wanted to translate Moog culture into a language others could understand.

Developing the project with producer Ryan Page, we decided early on that we weren't interested in taking a conventional approach to the Moog story. The film does not track the history of electronic music. It is not a chronological history of the synthesizer. No archive still photos, no narration. Moog is focused on the man today, in his own words.

After researching and developing the project for over a year, we began production in Summer 2003. Fittingly, we shot the godfather of analog synthesis on film (Super 16mm) instead of digital video. I spent time with Bob in Asheville, Hollywood, New York and Tokyo (additional concert performances were shot in London and San Francisco). We talked mainly about the nature of creativity, Moog's early experiences, his current designs, his collaborations with musicians (past and present), and mystical notions about the interaction between man and machine (reminiscent of Nikola Tesla).

Of course, to include every musician influenced by and influential on the Moog synthesizer would not be realistic. But clearly there are central figures: Keith Emerson, Sun Ra, Stevie Wonder, Rick Wakeman, Herbie Hancock, Jan Hammer, Tomita, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Devo, Bernie Worrell, Richard Teitelbaum, dck Hyman, Wendy Carlos and the list goes on... an extensive and impossible roster.

And equally untenable for this film would have been a survey of technological and design advances by other synthesizer pioneers like Leon Theremin, Raymond Scott, Don Buchla, Thaddeus Cahill, Harald Bode and Hugh LeCaine, all of whom have had significant impact on Moog and each deserves a film to themselves (only Theremin has one as far as I know).

Plus, we had virtually no money. The labor of love cliché is actually a fair description of this project. Truth be told, we went into each shoot not knowing how we could possibly pull it off. But somehow it all worked out, usually at the very last possible moment, and we were eventually able to tell the story we wanted to tell.

We did make numerous attempts to recruit Wendy Carlos for this project, but she refused to be involved at all. She even threatened legal action. I had discovered Switched-On Bach at 12, and at the time it really had an important effect on my world, so her harsh rejections were especially disappointing. But I was very gratified by the enthusiasm of our supporting cast members including Keith Emerson, Walter Sear, Gershon Kingsley, Money Mark, Herb Deutsch, Rick Wakeman, Bernie Worrell, DJ Spooky, Jean-Jacques Perrey, Charlie Clouser, Jack Dangers and others. Many additional artists contributed original music for the soundtrack.

But in the end, it is Moog's voice that is the narrative. Members of the cast are featured in performance or in conversation with Bob, but only he speaks one on one with the camera. Bob is always the reference point and I think this is how we get a unique look into his head. And that was more important to me than attempting to make THE comprehensive film about all things Moog. That task might be better suited to a musicologist, historian or social anthropologist, which I am not.

Bob Moog embodies the archetypal American maverick inventor. The independent explorer charting new territory. The mad scientist. The cowboy poet. I'm interested in that mythology ­ for the parts that turn out to be true and for the parts that turn out not to be true. Ultimately that is what this film is about.

Hans Fjellestad
New York, September 2004

Trailer @ http://www.zu33.com/moog/
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
- Plato -

-Denis Diderot-
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Can you say LEGEND?
robert lowell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by robert lowell »

We did make numerous attempts to recruit Wendy Carlos for this project, but she refused to be involved at all. She even threatened legal action. I had discovered Switched-On Bach at 12, and at the time it really had an important effect on my world, so her harsh rejections were especially disappointing.
my parents use to play that 12" on a quadraphonic stereo they had. i was alway fascinated with the large electronic contraptions on the cover while i was a todler. i still have that same 12" in mint condition. if you dont know walter carlos and wendy carlos are one in the same if your trying to find it. unoriginal artwork below.

...bob is most certianly the man, this documentry looks very intreeging.
AbstraKt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by AbstraKt »

Influential synth pioneer Robert Moog dead at 71
Last Updated Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:06:21 EDT
CBC Arts

Robert Moog in 2000 holding a new Moogfooger, sitting beside a 1971 Minimoog. (AP Photo/Alan Marler)

Robert A. Moog, the synthesizer pioneer who invented the Moog, has died at the age of 71.

Robert Moog in 2000 holding a new Moogfooger, sitting beside a 1971 Minimoog. (AP Photo/Alan Marler)
Moog had been diagnosed with brain cancer in April. He received radiation treatment and chemotherapy, but died Sunday at his home in Asheville, outside Raleigh, N.C.

Moog (which rhymes with vogue) created and marketed the first commercial modular synthesizer in 1964, while studying engineering physics at Cornell University.

The instrument allowed musicians to generate a range of sounds - both naturalistic and otherworldly. It was small, light and versatile, and was quickly embraced by musicians.

The first record to feature a Moog was Cosmic Sounds by the Zodiac. The instrument was quickly picked up by other musicians, such as the Beatles, looking for ways to fuse their psychedelic drug experiences with their music. The Beatles used a Moog on their 1969 album Abbey Road, and a Moog was the source of the eerie sound on the soundtrack to the 1971 movie A Clockwork Orange.

Keyboardist Walter (later Wendy) Carlos, a friend of Bob Moog, demonstrated the range of the synthesizer by using it as his only instrument on the 1968 album Switched-On Bach ? one of the best-selling classical music recordings of all time.

"Suddenly, there was a whole group of people in the world looking for a new sound in music, and it picked up very quickly," composer Herb Deutsch said Monday. He is the Hofstra University music professor emeritus who helped develop the Moog prototype back in the 1960s.

"The Moog came at the right time," he said.

Popularity of the Moog surged in the 1970s, being used in extended keyboard solos in songs by groups like Manfred Mann, Yes and Pink Floyd.

"The sound defined progressive music as we know it," said Keith Emerson, keyboardist for the rock band Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

It also heavily influenced the development of 1970s funk, hip-hop, disco, and early techno.

In the 1980s, the Moog was used less, as digital synthesizers took over, but later the instrument experienced a bit of a revival. In 2004, a New York concert promoter staged the first Moogfest, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Moog, and featuring members of Yes and Parliament/Funkadelic.

In 1973, Robert Moog, who had initially set up shop in suburban Buffalo, N.Y., sold his company. Five years later, he moved to a remote plot outside Asheville N.C. - a scenic Appalachian Mountain city and centre for new-age pursuits that Rolling Stone magazine once dubbed "America's new freak capital."

Despite traveling in circles that included jet-setting rockers, he always considered himself a technician.

"I'm an engineer. I see myself as a toolmaker and the musicians are my customers," he said in 2000. "They use the tools."

Robert Moog is survived by his wife Ileana and five children.

Some influential or memorable albums featuring the Moog:

-Cosmic Sounds, the Zodiac
-Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, & Jones, the Monkees
-Switched-On Bach, Walter Carlos
-The Well-Tempered Synthesizer, Walter Carlos
-Moog Power, Hugo Montenegro
-Abbey Road, the Beatles
-The In Sound from Way Out, Perrey and Kingsley
-Christmas Becomes Electric, the Moog Machine
-Popcorn, Hot Butter
-A Clockwork Orange (soundtrack), Walter Carlos
-Star Wars (soundtrack), Patrick Gleeson
-Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Emerson, Lake & Palmer
-Ricochet, Tangerine Dream
-Innervisions, Stevie Wonder
-X, Klaus Schulze
-Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome, Parliament
-Who's Next, the Who
-Pet Sounds, Beach Boys
-Beggar's Banquet, Rolling Stones
-Moving Pictures, Rush
Last edited by AbstraKt on Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Plato -

-Denis Diderot-
peloquin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by peloquin »

very sad news, rip
mbikkie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

moog