Richie Hawtin

spideresistance
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by spideresistance »

okzbow wrote:
I've seen him @ Fabric this year, but although I am big fan he isnt doin it for me at the moment... he is playing like all the lame friggin funky house djs with the bass (in out in out in out in out, climax, hands in the air... out in out in), and the story, line, in his sets is far far away.
agree 100% with you, his recent sets lack in telling you an evolving history.

and then you have to come in italy for a party with a m-nus artist to realize the mass phenomenon that it has become. as me last friday in milan with magda shinedoe and carl craig: there were a lot of ppl wearing home made m-nus t-shirts... i spoke with almost every guy and most of them only know about richie, m-nus, magda, gaiser, but not much more... wich is really sad, because electronic music, especially techno, was always about discovering new things/artists/labels through a self passion-driven research. time table was magda first, shinedoe and then carl craig. without any doubts the queen of the night was Chinedum with her groovy style. all the ppl were asking who was her. and there was a guy telling me he was at time warp and also at robertjohnson on friday for the m-nus night... and he asked me, who's that black girl is playing right now? and I was like: this is shinedoe, much better than magda most of the times, listen!!!!! then he wanted to know where to buy her music and I told him to try beatport.com... but he even doesn't know what beatport was... fucking unbelieveble!
or this other guy wearing an home made m-nus t-shirt with his myspace addres on the back... without even greeting him I told him: what are you doing with this fucking m-nus logo and your myspace address on the t-shirt???? you are really the perfect mass-man prototype. ridiculous...
TwelveHundred
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TwelveHundred »

Wow, that's interesting...

I think I am aware of %75 percent of the crew...
okzbow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by okzbow »

spideresistance wrote:
okzbow wrote:
I've seen him @ Fabric this year, but although I am big fan he isnt doin it for me at the moment... he is playing like all the lame friggin funky house djs with the bass (in out in out in out in out, climax, hands in the air... out in out in), and the story, line, in his sets is far far away.
agree 100% with you, his recent sets lack in telling you an evolving history.

and then you have to come in italy for a party with a m-nus artist to realize the mass phenomenon that it has become. as me last friday in milan with magda shinedoe and carl craig: there were a lot of ppl wearing home made m-nus t-shirts... i spoke with almost every guy and most of them only know about richie, m-nus, magda, gaiser, but not much more... wich is really sad, because electronic music, especially techno, was always about discovering new things/artists/labels through a self passion-driven research. time table was magda first, shinedoe and then carl craig. without any doubts the queen of the night was Chinedum with her groovy style. all the ppl were asking who was her. and there was a guy telling me he was at time warp and also at robertjohnson on friday for the m-nus night... and he asked me, who's that black girl is playing right now? and I was like: this is shinedoe, much better than magda most of the times, listen!!!!! then he wanted to know where to buy her music and I told him to try beatport.com... but he even doesn't know what beatport was... fucking unbelieveble!
or this other guy wearing an home made m-nus t-shirt with his myspace addres on the back... without even greeting him I told him: what are you doing with this fucking m-nus logo and your myspace address on the t-shirt???? you are really the perfect mass-man prototype. ridiculous...
funny thing... and sad... same happened in Fabric. We were standing near the boot, talking to some nice german people.

Hawtin showed up in the boot... al of a sudden 20 italians surrounded us yelling HAWTIN HAWTIN... making pictures, wanted to shake his hand... come on, he is just a normal guy who has a kid :-) Those wannabe's make me sad... and they are quite annoying and not really friendly most of the time
TwelveHundred
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TwelveHundred »

Excuse me for not bieng in the loop and I heard a rumor about this....

Richie has a child?

Wow.
spideresistance
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

TwelveHundred wrote:Excuse me for not bieng in the loop and I heard a rumor about this....

Richie has a child?

Wow.
who cares? if he's straight, b or gay, if he likes to being tongue-kissed by sven or ricardo, who fucking cares? bullshit!!! please re-focus on the music, wich is the only thing we have to care about in the first place, especially at parties...
spideresistance
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

okzbow wrote: funny thing... and sad... same happened in Fabric. We were standing near the boot, talking to some nice german people.

Hawtin showed up in the boot... al of a sudden 20 italians surrounded us yelling HAWTIN HAWTIN... making pictures, wanted to shake his hand... come on, he is just a normal guy who has a kid :-) Those wannabe's make me sad... and they are quite annoying and not really friendly most of the time
in some ways yes, it can be fun but this (mostly Italian) attitude is really not doing anything good to the scene and especially to the atmosphere at parties. last week in milan i was telling to the ppl wich came at timewarp (noticed them bcause of the t-shirts again) this kind of thing: you see, two weeks ago we were almost 15'000 at time warp and almost nobody was pushing me, and tonight we are 1'500 and most of you aren't able to dance without touching the ppl around you at every move you make... and a guy told me that i was right and that during time warp he wanted really to have the proof, so he tried to push hard a guy wich then was apologizing to him for being pushed... and I was like: you see, you are really stupid, why the hell you have to try this unfriendly attitude at an event like time warp? only you Italians didn't get the real spirit of a rave, yet wich are always been: peace love and unity.
spideresistance
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

this is a conscious comment about m-nus event at wmc miami this year, taken from detroitluv.com that hits the point perfectly:

M-nus what a let down. I'm still faithful to a couple members of this crew but it was the worst - event I've ever been to. No one there for music. It felt so sterile, and monotonous, like they were beating a dead horse... Shoulda went to Kompakt live and learn.
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

I’m glad it’s not only me who isn’t feeling him any more. I think the biggest factor about what I don’t like about Hawtin at the moment is that it’s no longer art. I’ve seen him do some special special sets where it’s a true journey and artistic showcase. These days he’s just a DJ, not an artist. I respect Villalobos a lot more these days, as although he’s also become a real big name, he has still maintained his quality in approach. Hawtin used to make me feel on edge and it was raw and advanced, unfortunately it’s just not that way now.