Thomas Brinkmann

skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Thomas Brinkmann

Post by skept »

Alongside Mike Ink, the Basic Channel collective and Pole, Thomas Brinkmann is one of the leaders in the ongoing German-born study of isolationist dub-inspired techno. Though he's been famed for productions on his own Max, Ernst and Suppose labels, Brinkmann gained a name in the experimental and techno community for his full-length remixes (or as he terms them, "variations") of material by Richie Hawtin and Mike Ink. The variations were made possible by playback of the original records on a turntable of Brinkmann's own design, which included two tone arms with separate outputs for left and right channels. Brinkmann had in fact been experimenting with carved-groove records since the 1980s. He studied art at the Düsseldorf Academy but was reportedly expelled for his philosophies. Influenced by Ryuichi Sakamoto, Steve Reich, Panasonic and Dan Bell, but it was Mike Ink's Studio 1 singles series that inspired him to begin recording seriously. Brinkmann modified an existing turntable by adding another tone arm (one for each channel of the output, left and right) and slowing down the material to record his own variations. When Ink heard them, he released two EPs of the material on his Profan label (later collected on one CD). Brinkmann debuted his own productions with the founding of the Ernst label, which released several singles of sharply defined minimalist dub-techno (each using women's names for titles) in keeping with the work of Berlin's Basic Channel collective and BC-associate Stefan Betke (aka Pole). Brinkmann also launched two other labels -- Max (with men's names for titles) and Suppose, which featured full-length releases Totes Rennen and Weisse Nacht by the alias "Ester" Brinkmann. Brinkmann's next step involved reworking the dozen 12-inch singles originally released during 1996 by Plastikman's Richie Hawtin in a series called Concept. After traveling from Cologne to Hawtin's base in Canada, Brinkmann thrilled Hawtin with the results and by early 1998, a CD of Brinkmann's Concept variations was released on Hawtin's M_nus label. A year later, Brinkmann contributed a volume in the 20' to 2000 series and inaugurated his own Ernst series with "Anna/Beate." ~ John Bush, All Music Guide

I was surprised that I did not see Thomas Brinkmann on here. Did I miss something? I did a search and just found some (broken) links to live sets of his.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Brinkmann is the man. Among my top 5 favorite techno producers.
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

minimal house wrote:Brinkmann is the man. Among my top 5 favorite techno producers.
Ditto.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I was pretty amazed by his stuff 4-5 years ago, but the last 2 years or so, I've been a bit disapointed...
danielf
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by danielf »

some weeks ago i was diggin in my older records and discovered again how nice the name-series and the early max ernst records mostly from around 1999 -2001 were...
i also liked his livesets at this time alot!
But since the soulcenter, i didnt really follow his records anymore. maybe i should check them again soon.
orphic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by orphic »

I really enjoyed the eary Max Ernst productions. To be honest I have not checked his releases in some time.

He is coming to Australia at the beginning of July. I'm really looking forward to seeing him perform.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

danielf wrote:some weeks ago i was diggin in my older records and discovered again how nice the name-series and the early max ernst records mostly from around 1999 -2001 were...
i also liked his livesets at this time alot!
But since the soulcenter, i didnt really follow his records anymore. maybe i should check them again soon.
Also the records with the scrathes, making noices everytime the needle passes the scratch on the record... amazing stuff...
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

orphic wrote:I really enjoyed the eary Max Ernst productions. To be honest I have not checked his releases in some time.

He is coming to Australia at the beginning of July. I'm really looking forward to seeing him perform.
^ I read that then wondered to myself, 'who the fck is that....' then I saw your name... hohoho