Warmdesk

Doctor T
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Warmdesk

Post by Doctor T »

Anybody else into Warmdesk? A must-listen for anybody who is into micro sounds that are deep, housey, and, well... warm. I just got hold of his Guero Variations CD on deluxe, and it's fucking great... he has a very unique take on the micro house sound, imo. His two EP's on ATOC are not to be missed as well.

Bio:

Warmdesk is the project of Chicago-based producer William Selman. Named after an obscure single by an early 90s group out of Cologne that inspired him initially, the sound of Warmdesk has evolved from his earliest work of musique concrete and skewed rhythms into combining these elements into stripped-down minimal techno. Still present are the dubby textures and samples from everyday life, but now they coexist with smooth chords and rhythmic grooves. Selman has released material on many labels, including A Touch of Class, Deluxe, Bip-Hop, Static Caravan and Fallt. His first album was the "Guero Variations" cd for the well-regarded Deluxe label (home to Electric Birds, Blechtum from Blechdom and Matmos's early endeavors). The record brought together the musique concrete and techno as it is composed almost completely with sounds from the interior of the piano without actually playing the keys; according to the Portland Mercury's Dave Segal, it "makes musique concrete detritus shimmy and shake with glee." The album made it into several critics' top lists for records of 2003.

More recently, he has released two 12"s on Andy Vaz's Background Records' "House" sublabel A Touch of Class that showed off more dancefloor-friendly cuts (while retaining the sampling aesthetic) that quickly found their way into top tens of DJs like Steve Bug and Mathias Schaffhauser as well as receiving the highest accolades from critics. Currently in the works are more releases for several labels and a collaboration of dancefloor cut-and-paste with Forte/Neuton artist Matthew Mercer called 2400W. He also runs A Posteriori Recordings which releases occasional one-off records of a more conceptual theme--the last being “Guero Variations Variations.” During the day, Selman is a software and database engineer.

Releases:

InvalidObject Series (function) (CD3") Fällt
Prole Drift (7") Static Caravan
The Pride Of The South Side, Live @ WHPK 05.10.01 (CD) Fällt
Guero Variations (CD) Deluxe Records
Pistachio (12") A Touch Of Class (Germany)
Safety First EP (12") A Touch Of Class (Germany)

Discogs Page
website
zzz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zzz »

i have not heard the first records,
but the works for a touch of class are very deeps, into the house but very deeps,
i like these two 12"s,
b y e
Doctor T
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Doctor T »

zzz wrote:i have not heard the first records,
I haven't heard the pole drift... but the function CD is basically just a collection of 1-2 minute noise samples. Nothing you'd want to bob your head to.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Yeah I know Bill. Runs the aposteriori (sp?) label out of Chicago. Definately one of Chicago's biggest secrets.
danielf
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by danielf »

both ep on ATOC are good, but i prefer the 2nd one
The Remix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The Remix »

http://www.livesets.com/forums/showthre ... adid=59868

go here for 2 sets by him-- he's a f-in great 1! :shock:
theremixphilly@yahoo.com

I live in the House- & Micro-House lives in me.
silentstorm
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by silentstorm »

The Remix wrote:http://www.livesets.com/forums/showthre ... adid=59868

go here for 2 sets by him-- he's a f-in great 1! :shock:
thanks for posting the livesets. havent heard any of his music and off to get the sets.
flesh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by flesh »

Pistachio!,Capricorn Rising - wow!! .. fantastic releases!
Warmdesk deep man))