Carsten Nicolai

emoke
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Carsten Nicolai

Post by emoke »

I thought I'm gonna make a topic about my most favourite producer 8)

Ladies and gentlemen, Carsten Nicolai from my favourite label, Raster-Noton! 8)

Carsten Nicolai (born 1965 in Karl Marx Stadt in GDR, now Chemnitz) is an artist using various media, such as sound, image, sculpture and computer, as hybrid tools in order to research the "codification of the world". Nicolai's work questions creativity, coincidence and artistic creative power. A lot of his works are directly linked with the natural sciences. The physics of oscillation in particular are a frequent means of his work and are not limited by audibility and visibility, but trying to make natural phenomena visible.

In 1995, Nicolai founded the "noton.archiv für ton und nichtton" record label that merged with "raster music" to become "Raster-Noton" in 2000. The collective with Olaf Bender and Frank Bretschneider meanwhile put out more than 40 releases, among others the series "20 to 2000" that received the Golden Nica for Digital Music at the Ars Electronica Festival in 2000. In recent years, Carsten Nicolai has performed in major exhibition spaces, and has collaborated with Ryoji Ikeda, Mika Vainio and Thomas Knak (co-composer of Björk's "Vespertine"-album) and with Ryuchi Sakamoto.

from discogs.com :)

So what do you think of him? :D
I own all of your candies!
Bogdan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bogdan »

he is one of my favourite artists also! glad to see you on r-n thing emoke ;)
Bogdan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bogdan »

emoke
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by emoke »

Yes, I discovered them for by myself some time ago! And I'm very proud of that! 8) They're amazzzing for real!

...and thank you for the link! ;)
Bogdan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bogdan »

i know them for a long time and about 6 months ago i discovered them again.. because i thought they were "dead" .. that was a really great discovery.. to know that they are still doing stuff. i was happy like a little child :D
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

white line in toronto - Sept. 29

Post by smith »

w00t!

--

exhibition: raster-noton will present white line light installation in toronto at nuit blanche festival on 29 september 2007

Supernatural City
Nuit Blanche enters into the time for sleep, the realm of dreams. It pushes past usual bedtimes, engaging imaginations, and exploring relationships with the city and fellow city dwellers during the course of one highly anticipated insomniac night.
Supernatural City invites us to cross thresholds, to explore the unseen, the unknown and to welcome that which is revealed to us in dreams, in altered states and in the exceptional moments that constitute an ordinary day.
Tonight the gigantic wheels of our imaginative lives grow and force upon each other a simultaneous beckoning to a dimension that is strikingly informed by inner knowledge and the confidence in an ability to fertilize adventures of self discovery, inquiries into our known world, a chronicle of fantastic events.

White Line Light
Artists Carsten Nicolai and Olaf Bender
The music of Carsten Nicolai and Olaf Bender explores the limitations of what we can see and hear and takes this as a point of departure. Electricity is used as a conduit to identify, define and lend shape to the invisible and inaudible phenomena found in our midst.
White Line Installation will present these ideas as live musical performance throughout the evening.
emoke
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by emoke »

I envy everybody who gets the chance to see them :p