Interview: Alexander Robotnick...not so MNML but Italo-disco

e99
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Interview: Alexander Robotnick...not so MNML but Italo-disco

Post by e99 »

One of the godfathers of the Italo-disco sound that has gone on to influence the likes of Desyn Masiello, Serge Santiago, LCD Soundsystem and a whole host of the current crop of dance music stars, and has been knocking out stunning pieces of electro, techno and disco for over 25 years now. We spoke to this legend as he prepares to rock The Egg in London for Dutch promotion Electronation this Friday August 3rd....

You have helped to influence many a great artists over the last two decades....but who were your greatest influences growing up?

The Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Sorry for such a trivial answer but, you know, I’m aged. I’m from a generation that wouldn’t listen to just a couple of genres and there was no such thing as music style. Every artist represented a unique and original style, and I loved different things, so it is very hard to say what really influenced me. Obviously, talking about Alexander Robotnick, I’ve been influenced by Kraftwerk and Grace Jones.

What keeps your going in 2007? How come you haven’t just faded out of the electronic music game?

Necessity and passion. I simply can’t live without making music.

Are you still producing?

I just released a CD called ‘My la(te)st album’. I’m working on remixes from it right now. I also like to remix tracks by other artists. Anyway, producing music is my addiction. I just can’t stop.

Do you have any unfulfilled ambitions?

Actually I don’t have many ambitions. Living by the music I make has always been my greatest ambition. Through ups and downs I’ve been able to do so. I’d like to have the time to make other things I love. Writing and video editing. For instance.

Do you think people misuse the word “electro” these days?

Words are just a convention. The same word can be used to define different styles in different times. The difference between techno and electro is very subjective nowadays.

Why do you think there has been such an Italo-disco revival in recent years?

People still need to hear some melody sometimes. Techno and house music tend to create a kind of flat mood: things get some appeal only if you get a little high. But in this way, you know, you risk getting into trouble. Italo-disco instead creates a funny mood whereby people can have fun without drugs.

You are playing for Electronation at The Egg in London this Friday, a big Dutch promotion that’s now touching down in England. How have your experiences in Holland and England been respectively? Do you see many similarities between the two cultures or not?

It’s Europe. Club people are very similar everywhere. In Holland the audience is even more receptive to Italo and electro-disco than in England. Anyway in both countries they are very open-minded and curious and indeed very often ready to listen to something different as long as it’s good. This is the reason why I’ve always had fun working in UK and Holland. I played many times in London throughout the last 4 years. This is my second gig at the Egg .

What will you be serving up in musical terms at Electronation? What should we come prepared for?

I usually play different things. I use a laptop for DJing and I re-edit everything I play. In this way I can create my personal sound of tracks coming from different times, thereby giving them a more homogeneous mood. So, when I play, you can listen something hardly ever played by other DJs.I also perform some of my tracks live. But, without making a show-case, I simply mix them into my DJ-set.

What’s your favourite thing to do in the world, and where is your favourite place to do it?

Slow travelling by a two wheel-vehicle, possibly provided by engine. The place is the South of India.

What was the last tune you heard that blew you away?

That’s the hardest question…to mention just one: Robert Babicz – ‘Sin’.

Check out Electronation, featuring Freeform Five and Alexander Robotnick here:
http://www.dontstayin.com/uk/london/egg ... ent-133913