Jeff Samuel

plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Jeff Samuel

Post by plaster »

Jeff Samuel's foray into electronic music began in 1995 when he first witnessed a DJ set by Detroit's Claude Young in Columbus, Ohio. He was then introduced to that city's ele_mental collective, an inspiring core of artists including Titonton Duvante, the Archetype, and Todd Sines among others. Through their concept-oriented events which showcased the finer points of electronic music, Samuel became enthralled and began to DJ in 1996. Soon after, he purchased his first synth and drum machine.

While attending college in 1997, Jeff began exploring the possibilities of software-based music production where he saw greater possibilities for creativity and workflow. He encountered much scrutiny for attempting to make techno using only a computer. Nevertheless, by 1998 he had started to create his own completed tracks using an early version of Fruityloops (now FL Studio). Music from his first demo was signed to the German label Lo-fi Stereo. The Bidooba single was released in 1999 and featured a remix from Kompakt’s Michael Mayer. Other tracks from the same demo found their way to minimal techno pioneer Daniel Bell, who released them on his 7th City label in 2001.

Jeff pushed into the new millennium continuing his DJ career, releasing more music, and completing his college degree in Audio Production simultaneously. 2002 proved to be a significant year which saw his Digital Self EP on Tektite remixed by Ricardo Villalobos, his abstract material released by UK label Emoticon, and the beginning of a long relationship with Cologne-based Trapez Recordings. He also left Ohio for Seattle where he pursued a career as a Sound Designer in the videogame industry.

Today, Jeff Samuel is a sought-after remixer with a heavy DJ and production schedule who still finds the time to make SFX for videogames. His records are played by a diverse range of the world’s most talented DJ’s including: Richie Hawtin, Sven Vath, Ricardo Villalobos, Francois K, Steve Bug, Akufen, Craig Richards, Mazi, Claude Young, Timo Maas, Josh Wink, Electric Indigo, Michael Mayer, and John Tejada. He is also currently the only American DJ represented by the elusive Kompakt organization. Plans for the future include a mix CD and debut LP.

discography:

Bidooba (12")
New Joob (12")
Untitled (12")
Digital Self (12")
Double Yum (12")
Fcote (12")
New Age Mold (12")
Untitled (12")
Blap EP (12")
Knob (Remixes) (12")
Lya (12")
Throatwobbler Mangrove (12")
Awt EP (12")
Knob/Fcote (Remixes) (12")
Windux (12")
Witness (12")
Throof (12")
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Easily my most favorite artist in electronic dance music today.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

same here...i just love what he does.

8)
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
spalalaps
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spalalaps »

a unique example of minimalism
totally came up with a style of his own, a true innovator
although his 2004 productions are a level below,
he remains one of my all time favorites :P
respect to the original :)
((les temps ont changé))
((dépêchez-vous))
Essaj
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Essaj »

Knob/Fcote (Remixes) (12") A2 rocks so hard..... cant stop listening
Love is intrumental
spalalaps
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by spalalaps »

Essaj wrote:Knob/Fcote (Remixes) (12") A2 rocks so hard..... cant stop listening
sorry to dissapoint you,
but these remixes are Jorge Gebauhr's
and not Jeff Samuel's :(
((les temps ont changé))
((dépêchez-vous))
suppoz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by suppoz »

Jeff Samuel is the reason I found this site. I was looking for info on him and google came up with the interview that he did for Mnml.nl that is posted in the interview section.

I'm a big fan of his Awt EP on Spectral and his Windux EP on Morris/Audio. Those two records come in to play for me quite a bit over the past year.

When I had him down from Seattle (where he lives) to play with me in Portland, he was an incredibly nice, down-to-earth individual, even though he had just gotten back from travels in Europe and was getting over a serious case of the post-travel flu. Top notch production and excellent DJ too.

ta,
--s-tephen
.-.-.-.-.:-:___suppoz.com___:-:.-.-.-.-.
-->Techno Sol @ Saucebox, Portland, OR, USA, every Thursday night
-->minimal from the Left Coast, USA.
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

he definetly rocks, my fav of all times is "Gbbump"

do u guys remember force inc's mp3 magazine?

i got it there, i wonder if it's the same version on karloff's release #3, is it?