Tsuba Records profile with Kevin Griffiths

e99
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Tsuba Records profile with Kevin Griffiths

Post by e99 »

We took a look at Kevin Griffiths' acclaimed Tsuba Records imprint, home to the likes of Oxia and David K, ahead of his set at SLAANG presents Fake Religion this Saturday 9th June in London Town....

Can you sum up the general idea behind Tsuba in 10 words or less?

To release cutting edge deep underground electronic house music

Please could you tell us a little about how the label came into existence, and who else is involved with it?

I used to run Fine Records in the UK (Tiefschwarz’s label) so when I left I really wanted to have my own label on my own terms. Tsuba is my baby so I call the shots. When things go well its very rewarding and when they don’t I have no-one else to blame! I’m now up to release number 12 and have 6 more singles to come this year.

Are there any tracks which you have really wanted to sign that slipped through the net?

This year I’ve been really happy with all the releases on Tsuba. I’ve got a tight little roster going now – Danton Eeprom, Eric Borgo & Oxia, David K and Aural Distortion, all of whom I’m working with in the long term. I would have liked to sign someone like Gabriel Ananda, but wouldn’t we all!

Do you have any hard and fast rules when deciding whether a track is suitable for release on Tsuba? Or does anything go in the right context?

My rule is simply to sign records I like and will play as a DJ. Increasingly this is on a deeper tip, so as a result there’s definitely more of a Tsuba sound this year. The second CD of our forthcoming ISSST comp really captures this - deep, groovy and hypnotic. It’s definitely important as a label to have a clear identity so people know what you’re about…..I’m passionate about many styles of music, especially nu-disco and funk, but it would be confusing to mix it up to much. The spectrum of what I do is pretty broad though, so you can still keep it fresh and exciting.

It must be very satisfying seeing a club go off to a Tsuba track. What’s the best reaction you’ve seen one of the label’s tracks get?

The real biggie has been Eric Borgo vs Oxia ‘Jackin’ Me’….probably the ‘biggest’ sounding thing I’ve released. It always used to get a cheer when the bass dropped. I also have my own single coming in September and have played that a few times now to a great response. Being in the studio was great and something I’ll be doing a lot more of. It’s your calling card as a DJ so is very important.

What’s the hardest lesson you’ve had to learn since running the label?

I think it’s probably that you need to stick to your guns. The market is really tough at the moment, especially for vinyl, but with the right record/remix you can do ok. Vinyl sales for me are up on last year, so I’m bucking the trend! Downloads have changed everything, but they’ve also opened up dance music to a whole new audience so are a good thing.

What’s on the horizon for Tsuba?

One more single before the summer by Aural Distortion, then a break for July/Aug (very bad for record sales!), and back with a bang in Sept with the next David K single (with a remix from Samim) followed by a killer Eric Borgo EP, my single and a second epic from Danton Eeprom. I’ve also just licensed tracks to compilations by Damian Lazarus, Sander Kleinenberg and Global Underground which will appear over the next couple of months.

Which other labels do you / have you admire/admired and why?

Freak ‘n’ Chic have been on fire this year, Moon Harbour, Traum, Ghostly and Four: Twenty have also been really consistent. All time fave label is Warp for diversity and the Aphex Twin.

You are playing at SLAANG presents Fake Religion on Saturday 9th June at an undisclosed location in London, which is a party which joins the dots between the indie and electronic scenes. Do you change your style when playing to a crowd that might have more of an “indie” persuasion?

The more indie orientated crowd are really open-minded so are very receptive to the underground club stuff. It works well with me and Bobby M playing - he’s a bit more in your face and I’m a bit deeper. The main thing is to ensure you play a set with energy.

What are these Deadest types about then? Sounds interesting....

Deadset is a new project from my long time pals Cass and Tom Mangan, We’re very excited to have the debut live set from them as I’m sure they are going to be huge this year. It kind of joins the dots between techno, acid house, minimal, jackin’ house…..so sounds very fresh and exciting.

Kevin Griffiths plays at SLAANG presents Fake Religion at a secret location in London this Saturday 9th June. Please see http://www.slaang.net for further details.