Cass & Mangan are dead...long live Deadset!

e99
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Cass & Mangan are dead...long live Deadset!

Post by e99 »

That's right...filthy tech/electro noisemakers Cass & Mangan have called it a day. Remixers to Miss Kitting, Royksopp and Tiefschwarz amongst others, they were a seriously hot electronic act, and they will be sorely missed. Fear not though - they are being reincarnated as the mysterious Deadset, and will be unleashing their very first live set at SLAANG: Fake Religion on June 9th in London....so what's their game? The plot thickens....read on to find out more...

So, what’s the Deadset sound all about and how does it differ from your previous output as Cass & Mangan?

I think that Tom and I had always wanted to build a sound around a project name, but it never happened when we signed to Fine because they wanted to use the press that we’d been getting as C+M to help with promotion, and then we just kept going with the name. In hindsight maybe we weren’t ready then anyway. It definitely feels like now that the similarities and disparities in our musical tastes have come together as one sound and less like two different animals. I think that the Deadset sound is a little more considered, a little more organic and homogenous and all the better for it.

Why the change then? What spurred it on?

When Jesse started to display a really strong interest in what we were doing, he said that he wanted us to have a project title that would be exclusive to Front Room. So we dug out all the little bits of paper with our name ideas on them. Personally I’m still gutted we didn’t go with either of my top 2 choices - Warm Pony or Sex Wind.

What’s the Deadset philosophy?

No guts, no glory. Although I also like the Google maxim, ‘Do No Evil’.

You got your grubby mitts on Justin Timberlake’s ‘My Love’ and give it a thorough seeing to on your track ‘Keep Quiet’. How did the idea for the track come about? You’ve only used tiny snippets of the original...

We were actually asked to do a remix of the track for Jive in the US, but then they weren’t into it. But it remained one of our favourite things that we’d done so we sent it to a few people, and Mr. Rose got quite excited by it and then we went from there I guess.

Tell us about the Deadset album...we’re intrigued...

‘Keys Open Doors’ is basically the result of us taking 4-5 months out and approaching writing music from an album perspective. We always wanted it to be full of music that was representative of what we play out and what we’re inspired by - house music basically - but also to try and play with our sound so that it retained a certain level of warmth that was appropriate for an album.

The most pleasing thing is that now that we’re at the end of the process and having pretty much finalised a running order it seems to organically sound like an album that you can listen to as a whole piece of work rather than just a collection of tracks, which is incredibly satisfying.

How did you first hook up with Jesse Rose and his Front Room Recordings imprint?

Jesse had really been into quite a few of the remixes and things that we’d done, and been really supportive of our work. We just started talking and things ballooned from there really. He’s a really cool guy who loves music, and that was basically us sold.

You will be bringing your live show to SLAANG presents Fake Religion on Saturday 9th June, somewhere in London. How does your live set up work?

For both of us the most important things are that we really enjoy what we’re doing on stage and that there is room for on the fly creativity above and beyond just triggering samples. We’re looking at a lot of ways to achieve what we want, trying to take on board the influences and inspiration we’ve had from watching people we’re really into play live and then putting it through the Deadset filter. It looks like we’re going to be kindly looked after by the guys at M-Audio, so we’re looking forward to integrating a lot of their really cool kit and ideas into our show over time and trying to do something that can grow and grow in size as we have grander audio schemes and designs.

I can honestly say that I think our idea of live is that it will be an enjoyable ongoing work in progress.

What do Deadset hope to have achieved by the end of the year?

Have the album out and hopefully have it be well received, and build the live show. Either that or the successful defence of our ‘Most Nandos eaten in a week whilst working on a house album world title’.

And finally, what was the last track you heard that blew you away?

Rene Amesz – ‘I Hate Green’ [HOT KITCHEN]. I just absolutely love the way that this contains seemingly sloppy percussion that actually merely serves to give it that indefinable and very difficult to achieve mark of understated greatness. Oh and it’s got a big break down in it as well.

Interview by Ben Gomori

Head over to http://www.slaang.net for more info on Deadset's live debut...
Mark Anthony
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Mark Anthony »

I wish they never did that Didnt Mean to Turn you on remix on Saw US...what a disgrace to the label