Jan Jelinek

fopap
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fopap »

most cats can't jive with komischer pitch, but that's because a lot of people can only understand the repetition in electronic music as being linear, with each element focused on achieving one goal, which is often moving the night forward on a dancefloor. jelinek is testing the boundaries on that record, and I think succeeds in using repetition to create something altogether different- something that sounds to me like an audio spiderweb, or a game of symmetry. the sounds he uses are all vaguely reminiscent of some 60s/70s music, yet obfuscated enough to give that feeling of a parallel history. anyway, y'all need to listen a second time, cos I'm afraid you may be missing jan's point, if it is anything close to how I perceive it. I'd love to see him develop this even further, and leave the dance stuff to his farben alias. this is the future of music.
Coog
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Coog »

Jan will be in NYC shortly accompanied with a live band. This should be interesting. This will be the 2nd time I've checked him out the other time he came with Soundhack and Thomas Fehlman...sht was hot.
Zsa Zsa
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zsa Zsa »

he will also be performing at Mutek this year.

looking forward to it very much.
"Upon the highest throne in the world, we are seated, still, upon our arses." .. Michel de Montaigne
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by smith »

Zsa Zsa wrote:he will also be performing at Mutek this year.
Yeah, definitely the highlight of the festival for me.

,g
bass_sheep
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bass_sheep »

smith wrote:
Zsa Zsa wrote:he will also be performing at Mutek this year.
Yeah, definitely the highlight of the festival for me.

,g
I can understand why people who are fans of his earlier stuff have problems getting into the Kosmischer pitch record. I think it has been explained quite well. I also tend to like the groovier stuff more than the new one, but then again the new one does feature something unique in an other direction which is cool.
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by smith »

bass_sheep wrote:I can understand why people who are fans of his earlier stuff have problems getting into the Kosmischer pitch record. I think it has been explained quite well. I also tend to like the groovier stuff more than the new one, but then again the new one does feature something unique in an other direction which is cool.
The newer stuff is a lot "fuller" though. I wish Jelinek would keep on churning out farben releases, but really his albums are so great! There are enough ep artists in the world. I'm a sucker for the full length work of Jelinek, Andrew Pecker, and Dave Miller though, so I suppose I'm preconditioned to be more interested in the albums then the eps that these artists release.

,g
wuerzet
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

jan jelinek

Post by wuerzet »

kosmischer pitch is very good but nothing can beat loop-finding-jazz-records especialy with excellent "do dekor"...maybe because I'm-finding-myself-there :!:
JThoma
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JThoma »

fopap wrote:most cats can't jive with komischer pitch, but that's because a lot of people can only understand the repetition in electronic music as being linear, with each element focused on achieving one goal, which is often moving the night forward on a dancefloor. jelinek is testing the boundaries on that record, and I think succeeds in using repetition to create something altogether different- something that sounds to me like an audio spiderweb, or a game of symmetry. the sounds he uses are all vaguely reminiscent of some 60s/70s music, yet obfuscated enough to give that feeling of a parallel history. anyway, y'all need to listen a second time, cos I'm afraid you may be missing jan's point, if it is anything close to how I perceive it. I'd love to see him develop this even further, and leave the dance stuff to his farben alias. this is the future of music.
Man I couldn't have said it better, Totally! I listen to his music on a literally daily basis and love his early Jan Jelinek stuff and Farben records. Even though it's not a dancefloor type album this is futuristc rhythm at it's best.

It reminds me of a quote in a documentary called "Who get's to call it art?" During one of the interviews an artist was speaking about contemporary modern art during it's development in the middle century in New York, and how nobody could take anyone's art seriously, and that abstract expressionism and the like were looked at as jokes, because they were so strange in comparison to art of that time period. The artist mentioned a story about a gallery owner who commented on how none off his patrons could understand what the art meant and the artist said to the owner "Well, who cares what the public thinks? Why should the artist have to explain anything? They're the one's being left behind, It's there job to catch up."

Everytime I listen to music as amazing as his new album "Kosmischer Pitch" I think of that quote and how music like that is always riding the crest of something larger. In the future albums like his might well be thought of the same way modern art was thought of in it's early stages. If you are a fan of his other stuff definetely try and give it another shot. Amazing album I can't say enough good things about it. :)