no mainstream mnml artist....?anybody...

Leander_Techno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Leander_Techno »

monokreck wrote:people allways wanna cry about something... it's never underground enough, not futuristic enough...

just do what you like to do, listen to what you like to hear, but don't allways try to find ways to identify yourself by putting artist who worked hard for it an became "succesfull" in a bad daylight...

if you think Hawtin, Ricardo or Bug is not done anymore, find another artist who can give you the sound you're looking for...
Amen
Creative use of technology is a form of Art
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

Ok..

Now my question is... what is underground and what it's not in minimal?

So, from now on, well know names at "underground" clubs are also mainstream... pff

When is that line crossed?

Who's the one who measures that?

(I've bought many great records at Virgin Megastore, Amazon.com, Spec*s, Walmart or whatever. And that really doesn't make the records bad in my opinion.)
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

isabella wrote:Ok..

Now my question is... what is underground and what it's not in minimal?

So, from now on, well know names at "underground" clubs are also mainstream... pff

When is that line crossed?

Who's the one who measures that?

(I've bought many great records at Virgin Megastore, Amazon.com, Spec*s, Walmart or whatever. And that really doesn't make the records bad in my opinion.)

Why does anyone need to classify?

Regarding the "top 40" question... I totally disagree. Here's my reasoning:

Actual "top 40" artists represent something totally different. They too have lots of hard work to do to get where they are and keep on top of their game, but I really think people like Hawtin have worked very the better part of their lives, really pushing and striving to achieve the things they've wanted to achieve. Most of the names you've mentioned are very forward thinking individuals who have became successful because of their skills, excellent music and notoriety that comes with being involved with the scene at so many different levels. None of these qualities are found in a "top 40" artist. Also, some of these guys have just plain been around and involved longer than anyone else and so naturally they have become successful over time (see "adam's law" in my other post :) - the only thing between yourself and a goal is hard work and time)

back to the original question about new material and stuff... it would be nice if someone did the work for us all and started some kind of mailing list or something that informs you of noteworthy releases (well known and not) every couple of weeks or something... if anyone wants to do something like this, let me know, maybe we can co-operate... maybe even just a blog... I definately don't have the time to maintain something like this but I could maybe put something together if some people wanted to volunteer to help maintain it..
Aron
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Aron »

What's wrong with top 40 anyway? It's the top ten that really scares me...
It's nice to be minimal, but it's more minimal to be nice
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

adam wrote:

Why does anyone need to classify?

Exactly...
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Is it really their talent and skills that give them notoriety or is it the people they know and politics of the minimal scene?
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

The Remix wrote:is it a bad cd--- just cause he was able to get his music to ppl in a more easy way?
Not in the least bit. Im just stirring up some debate. ; )

And just because its mainstream doesnt mean its bad, at all. That DE9 cd spawned an entire generation of minimal lovers. Im still to this day bumping that sh!t in my car.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

minimal house wrote:Is it really their talent and skills that give them notoriety or is it the people they know and politics of the minimal scene?
"people they know and politics of the minimal scene" might have something to do with it once talent and skills get them to a certain place. There really isn't much in the way of "politics" in the minimal scene though... you make good music, people will release you... the more attention you draw to yourself through quality releases and building a name for yourself, the more successful you will be...

Knowing people and things like that are also just a simple part of marketing. The difference between artists that make it and artist that don't are ones that have the "balls" to use everything at their disposal... including guerilla marketing tactics.. The rest are either satisfied with playing for friends and their local club scene or end up bitter and spend half a lifetime either whining or making music and then giving up.