no mainstream mnml artist....?anybody...

The Remix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The Remix »

ok- think of THE BIGGEST minimal name you can think of - then tell me how he/she has sold out.

In the America anyhow. I can only speak of this side of the earth- that's where I am- if some of you international DJ can speak about this please do.

I can see where in germany and holland it could seem mainstream and they would want to find 'Alternative artists'

how are they selling out- other than growing their hair out from being a cool bald techno guy-

or they stopped sniffing coke?

I can definately see a minor amount of artists that have comprimised their original intent on their works- but over all- hey they aren't putting Bon Jovi in their tracks.

Minimal I think is non mainstream if you know where to look- go through the old pages here or try out livesets or detroitluv - google- find the labels sections and links on your favorite artists' website's they are there.

Good luck with your search- keep it minimal and maybe even try going minimal and deep.
Peace

PS- look up background records and Dave Miller
Last edited by The Remix on Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
theremixphilly@yahoo.com

I live in the House- & Micro-House lives in me.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Hawtin- DE9- I think I bought that cd at WALMART.
The Remix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The Remix »

is it a bad cd--- just cause he was able to get his music to ppl in a more easy way?
theremixphilly@yahoo.com

adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

What a strange thread..

For new artists and so forth, just watch festivals like Mutek... I discovered people I didn't know much about and fell in love with what they were doing because of their marvelous performances last year.

Also watch web-based record stores like Nuloop... you can watch what's coming out and what's new on there and listen to previews... I do it ever so often and if something sounds like it's something i'd enjoy, I do further research on the release/artist/label.. tons of of great stuff to be discovered that way

About money and making money as an artist... I have a philosphy I've adapted and I apply it to everything in life, including this: If you have a goal or if there is something that you want, the only thing in your way is hard work and time. No matter how you look at it, there really is nothing else in the way. Often it takes a LOT of both, look at Pheek's posts for an example (who is peek? :) ). If you choose to do something, like music and decide that it's where you're going to draw your livelyhood from, stick with it and you'll get what you're looking for eventually... just don't expect it over night. Somepeople are lucky and it happens quicker for others.

I've been writing electronic music since I was 12 (I'm 22 next month). It's just starting to really take shape and pay off. I went through a lot to get where I am but I have no regrets, it's what I love to do. (only been doing minimal stuff for a few years though). It's always best to start young but doesn't mean that you won't suceed if you start in your adulthood. There's alot of factors that go into sucess too - it's not all about how many sick tracks you have and it's not even all about how good it is (although it's very important to have the best possible material).. You've gotta be ballsy, know stuff about marketing and have the drive and ambition required to just keep sending out demos and playing shows and so on..

I'll stop ranting, just thought I should share a bit of my experiences.
monokreck
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by monokreck »

people allways wanna cry about something... it's never underground enough, not futuristic enough...

just do what you like to do, listen to what you like to hear, but don't allways try to find ways to identify yourself by putting artist who worked hard for it an became "succesfull" in a bad daylight...

if you think Hawtin, Ricardo or Bug is not done anymore, find another artist who can give you the sound you're looking for...
Last edited by monokreck on Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.monokreck.com / www.mnmldjs.com
o my god, it's techno music !
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

monokreck wrote:people allways wanna cry about something... it's never underground enough, not futuristic enough...

just do what you like to do, listen to what you like to hear, but don't allwas try to find ways to identify yourself by putting artist who worked hard for it an became "succesfull" in a bad daylight...

if you think Hawtin, Ricardo or Bug is not done anymore, find another artist who can give you the sound you're looking for...
Exactly! Right on! :D
The Remix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The Remix »

Great responses Adam and Monokreck!

Bravo (seriously)

I agree 100%

forgot in my previous posts up there^ that I was not being sarcastic- I know it can be hard in forums to tell.

It's all in the research for new and interesting artist- or become one your self.

I have had to get off my bum and lok around- listen to get new/fresh sounds/grooves and unheard artists in my life.

I think we can give some suggestions here though- I just think that it struck some people's nerves that it was called "Mainstream" and if it does turm to be so- be happy that more people GET what we have been living eating and breathing for years now (Provided that the quality doesn't suffer from the popularity).

If quality goes down- strive to find better talent than what the bland norm settles for- Minimal will never really suffer from more people listening to it though (in my opinion).

Nothing is ever underground enough..... man be happy with good music - above or underground- it's not anyless quality because people know about it! Buy it more and like it too- even though they may not be underground people (whatever is the prerequisite for that to become a valid description for a person is) - ok I am sounding like a hippy now- shoot me :roll: :lol:
theremixphilly@yahoo.com

Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

adam wrote: About money and making money as an artist... I have a philosphy I've adapted and I apply it to everything in life, including this: If you have a goal or if there is something that you want, the only thing in your way is hard work and time. No matter how you look at it, there really is nothing else in the way. Often it takes a LOT of both, look at Pheek's posts for an example (who is peek? :) ). If you choose to do something, like music and decide that it's where you're going to draw your livelyhood from, stick with it and you'll get what you're looking for eventually... just don't expect it over night. Somepeople are lucky and it happens quicker for others.
Exactly. If you want to get somewhere, you have to do it yourself to start. One meets many new people along the way who help out and become friends. Music, or any art for that matter, is like a romantic relationship. It always starts out as a friendship, a base, a small one, but a precious one. Over time with work and much thought and nurturing, it grows and blossoms. But flowers only bloom if they are watered. If one neglects one's goals, they will stop growing and sometimes fade away.
I've been writing electronic music since I was 12 (I'm 22 next month). It's just starting to really take shape and pay off. I went through a lot to get where I am but I have no regrets, it's what I love to do. (only been doing minimal stuff for a few years though). It's always best to start young but doesn't mean that you won't suceed if you start in your adulthood. There's alot of factors that go into sucess too - it's not all about how many sick tracks you have and it's not even all about how good it is (although it's very important to have the best possible material).. You've gotta be ballsy, know stuff about marketing and have the drive and ambition required to just keep sending out demos and playing shows and so on.
Definitely. To keep pushing is important. To push one's self in a desired direction. You are very very correct when you say there is no overnight success in the quote previous to this one. Everything must be nurtured. Sometimes it takes risks too. The risk of being true to one's self. It is always the best when one does what one loves. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of a 'life' to do something of which one does not desire to do. Every human being on earth deserves the world. It takes work, a lot of work. It has also taken me a long time to get where I am now. But it has been worth every second. From being critiqued, learning new things, from others and on my own. It has all been worth it, and I am still myself.

If I end up becoming 'popular', I will still release quality music. It's not about being underground or pop. It's about doing what one loves and doing it for one's self.

Moneywise, we need money to survive, and with the arts we can make money. If one makes a lot of money from their art, then so be it, it doesn't make one any less of an artist because of one's monetary value. One can still be popular and have absolute quality and have the most fun of times. I too think people complain all too much about music which has gone popular or 'sold out'. I think it is completely unneccessary. Music will always be music whether it is popular or not.

As long as it is done with love, time and finesse, it will be top quality, no matter how popular it becomes.

And I must say those were excellent points, Adam :)