MATTHEW HERBERT

katie_m
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by katie_m »

its been a yr sice this thread started but i must say my total RESPECT to mr herbert! an artists with beliefs outside the music, using the means of music to promote thoughts and ideas about nature, corporartions, war, pollution, injustice in the world!and the best thing is that he is totally faithful to his beliefs (he never travels by plane, just twice a year, cuz of the pollution caused)..anyway...heard him 1 yr ago at fabric..he started with a video.bush and laden talking about bombs&war...and then the tripiest-weirdest minimal sounds ever!thanx suz for bring it on!
Alex semko
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Alex semko »

..does anyone have a copy of the PCCOM?? can't find in anywhere on the world wide web...

AS
JThoma
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JThoma »

Looks like they took it down. This is the closest thing I could find to a complete record.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.C.C.O.M. and P.C.C.O.M. Turbo Extreme
PERSONAL CONTRACT FOR THE COMPOSITION OF MUSIC
[INCORPORATING THE MANIFESTO OF MISTAKES ]

THIS IS A GUIDE FOR MY OWN WORK AND NOT INTENDED AS THE CORRECT OR ONLY WAY TO WRITE MUSIC EITHER FOR MYSELF OR OTHERS.
1. The use of sounds that exist already is not allowed. Subject to article 2. In particular:
No drum machines.
All keyboard sounds must be edited in some way: no factory presets or pre-programmed patches are allowed.
2. Only sounds that are generated at the start of the compositional process or taken from the artist's own previously unused archive are available for sampling.
3. The sampling of other people's music is strictly forbidden.
4. No replication of traditional acoustic instruments is allowed where the financial and physical possibility of using the real ones exists.
5. The inclusion, development, propagation, existence, replication, acknowledgement, rights, patterns and beauty of what are commonly known as accidents, is encouraged. Furthermore, they have equal rights within the composition as deliberate, conscious, or premeditated compositional actions or decisions.
6. The mixing desk is not to be reset before the start of a new track in order to apply a random eq and fx setting across the new sounds. Once the ordering and recording of the music has begun, the desk may be used as normal.
7. All fx settings must be edited: no factory preset or pre-programmed patches are allowed.
8. Samples themselves are not to be truncated from the rear. Revealing parts of the recording are invariably stored there.
9. A notation of sounds used to be taken and made public.
10. A list of technical equipment used to be made public.
11. optional: Remixes should be completed using only the sounds provided by the original artist including any packaging the media was provided in.
MATTHEW HERBERT 27-11-00/updated 05-06-03
P.C.C.O.M. Turbo Extreme

All rules of pccom apply, plus the following additions:
1. Once the subject of the track is established, only sounds directly related to that topic may be used. For example: if the track is about coffee, only sounds made by coffee farmers and their relatives; cups and spoons; milk; colombia etc, may be included.
2. finished tracks written under the terms of pccom turbo extreme may not be licenced to anything that is contradictory to the intention of the music.
3. Remixes will not be done with sounds used in the original. New noises on the same theme must be generated by the third party.
4. As much technical information shall be provided in order for others to reproduce the intention of the track, and to underscore the structural integrity of the work.
5. The piece shall endeavour to be good. Mediocrity is not an acceptable conclusion.
MATTHEW HERBERT (2005)
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

I liked him back in the day but he never did anything new or remotely exciting once his sound started becoming dated.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:I liked him back in the day but he never did anything new or remotely exciting once his sound started becoming dated.
you ever see the radioboy live performance?

one of the best youll ever see.
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

very good producer...

really wierd & truly original...

brilliant...
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

I wished he'd do something more bouncy again, like his Wishmountain stuff from the late 90s. His more recent stuff is just too much pop to me. No balls anymore...

But I always listen to his "Bodily Parts" LP when I have breakfast. Well, if I have breakfast, from time to time...
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
le K
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by le K »

total respect Herbert!!!
le-K aka Sylvain Garcia French Musician/DJ/Producer
http://www.myspace.com/soulsoleilk
http://soundcloud.com/le-k