Daniel "dbx" Bell: Appreciation thread

djxlr8r
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djxlr8r »

Yeah I think he suffers the syndrome of, producers that can't mix worth sh!t. Daniel Bell producer wise, is a genius, having produced countless classics and being a pivotal artist that changed minimal to what it is today, but his mixing is something to be questioned. He can be a perfect example of this argument. I have mixes from him that have horrible cheesy played out vocals and trainwreck transitions that can have people scratching their heads but in his defense since he is a great artists you have to take it with a grain of salt.
jay haze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

with all due respect...

Post by jay haze »

hey hey!
just wanted to drop some sight on that last comment.
daniel bell in the right moment is one of the best djs out there now. his mixing is very tight and track selection is also bomb. i have not heard an off set from dan in years, and he and i play together many times. i would be curious to know if these sets online are even his...

the reason why some of the 7th city records are not repressed in a legal thing.
in the early days of 7th city, there was more people involved than just daniel bell. and then was a way different time
(claude young and the burden brothers aka octave one were part of it then)
to be short the burden brothers(430 west) were starry eyed about what was happening in europe(frakfurt scene...big big money) and daniel just wanted to stay true to what he loved. there was a split, drama and after that 7th city was daniel's. because of the first catalog numbers in question as this was joint ventures
(like the legendary claude young--number 1.....fuckin bomb)
so rather than get into any trouble, que cera cera......
dan is surely aware of the amount these records are going on the net for, but he is a down mofuker and realizes sometimes it is best to leave things be the way they are.
hope this helps...
smith
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: with all due respect...

Post by smith »

jay haze wrote:hey hey!
just wanted to drop some sight on that last comment.
daniel bell in the right moment is one of the best djs out there now. his mixing is very tight and track selection is also bomb. i have not heard an off set from dan in years, and he and i play together many times. i would be curious to know if these sets online are even his...
Maybe I need to hear him again then... It's been a while since I've heard him mix live (DEMF 01?), and I missed him in TO earlier this year. Trainspot nitpicking aside, Bell owns as a producer. :)
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

dan owns.

haters can bite me.
rulzz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by rulzz »

daniel bell got me into minimal that's for sure

his set from DEMF is superB
Zsa Zsa
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zsa Zsa »

i've yet to see him dj in the flesh, but from the sets i've heard recorded live have been hit and miss, much like every human being, who isnt perfect. i can say tho, that even on his off days, his programming makes up for any bump in the record. im still enjoying "Daniel Bell - Somewhere in Aalborg 9-16-05" -- one of the best dj sets i've heard in a long LONG time. tight ass, mint track selection... this one would give anyone a boner -- even women :P

i still have to prop him for his Button Down Mind mixes -- both just brilliant -- altho older, they still make their way into rotation.

and yes -- make more records mr bell... please.
"Upon the highest throne in the world, we are seated, still, upon our arses." .. Michel de Montaigne