Robert Hood

Zsa Zsa
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Robert Hood

Post by Zsa Zsa »

Robert Hood (AKA Mono box... mmmm) makes minimal Detroit techno with an emphasis on soul and experimentation over flash and popularity. Having recorded for Metroplex, as well as the Austrian Cheap label and Jeff Mills' Axis label, Hood also owns and operates the M-Plant imprint (including the two sublabels Drama and Duet) through which he has released the bulk of his solo material. Hood was a founding member, along with Jeff Mills and Mike Banks, of the Underground Resistance label, whose influential releases throughout the early and mid '90s helped change the face of modern Detroit techno and sparked a creative renaissance. Infusing elements of acid and industrial into a potent blend of Chicago house and Detroit techno, UR's aesthetic project and militant business philosophy were (and remain) singular commitments in underground techno. Hood left Detroit (and UR) with Jeff Mills in 1992, setting up shop in New York and recording a series of 12" EPs. Through the mid '90s, Hood has focused on his solo work, setting up M-Plant in 1994 and releasing singles such as "Internal Empire", "Music Data" and "Moveable Parts". Although his desire to remain underground has been replaced by an urge to reach a wider audience, Hood remains fiercely critical of artistic and economic movements destructive to inner-city communities and has combined his musical enterprises with outreach and social activist ends. His debut Peacefrog album "Point Blank" took Hood's hypnotic minimalism to entirely new depths and territories, whilst his latest album "Wire To Wire" takes his productions onto new levels of musicality and sophistication within the world of electronic music.

Check it: http://www.electronicpm.co.uk/epm__djs_ ... obert_hood

Logistic Records
Peacefrog
Tresor
NovaMute
Telegraph
Subliminal
Deconstruction
Kanzleramt

etc etc etc.

suz/aa
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

detroit is where is at...my music is heavy influenced by artists such as him.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Surgi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Surgi »

Robert rules!! Like his album Minimal Nation very much! And also other ep's and albums :lol:
Aïsh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Aïsh »

he did some good producing, i have ONE record of him myself 8)

but he uses too much the same samples i think, but thats my opinion.
There is no much evolution in his producings of lets say 1990 and 2000 due to his samples...

but thats my opinion :oops:
Surgi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Surgi »

Yes I agree, nevertheless he has his own sound and that is a good thing! His last album wire to wire I disliked very very much.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

This guy is one of the early pioneers of minimal music. Good call ZsaZsa

I think my favorite hood track is the "Electric Nigger" i think part 1. Total ravey synth, a kick, and a hi hat thats it....mnml at its finest
Little_G
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Little_G »

robert aint gonna change so easely

show us more Zsa Zsa

:lol:
Zsa Zsa
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zsa Zsa »

I don't think its necessarily about change, than it is about reinventing one's self....

...I think he has accomplished that, even by using similar sounds in his tracks. The feeling he delivers is always fresh and unique to me, building a new house with the same bricks, just in a different way.

We all have our own ears, so we obviously interpret things differently. If we all liked the same sh!t, *yawn.* Someone humor me, please. :)

Robert to me, makes me gush inside. I always look forward to his releases.

suz.aa