Digging methods.

- open
Alba livin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Digging methods.

Post by Alba livin »

So I've been digging for records for a good few years and have only really used the Explore feature on Discogs, mainly selecting the single genre that I like and obv selecting Vinyl and just working my way through what is there. Occasionally ill go through decks/Juno etc to see whats going on but I was wondering what other methods are people using to dig for records.

Also do you find it better to select multiple filters on Discogs when digging or do you just use one genre etc. I always feel im going to miss something when I narrow it down further than one genre.

Would be good to hear other peoples opinions and methods if you're up for sharing.

Thanks.
brooklyn1
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Digging methods.

Post by brooklyn1 »

I'll stick mainly to one or two basic genres and search usually just by year.
Though I like to have fun with it sometimes, just pick two randoms like abstract and deep house. Some days check just a certain countries releases.
Even search just a random word like say "orange" then check all the 90s releases of different genres.
If i find something I like, I make note then come back later to check all other releases of theirs, all the labels they were on, if I don't recognize the name of them.
Not too worried about covering everything or making sure I've checked everything of a certain year or whatever.

You can also search in a sellers's for sale stock. If I'm buying from someone in the USA, I'll blindly buy a few records extra since shipping is so cheap.
I'll search "Promo or W/Lbl" to see if i can find any interesting looking in their stock.
Save the planet, Kill Yourself.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Great topic :!:

Utilize the wishlist.

Buying in bulk from from your home land saves you $100's in shipping which equals more revenue to purchase more records. * Click seller in your country literately saves $100's JUST in shipping. I'm sure I've helped employ UPS slightly over the years. Funny I was just having a conversation this evening & I brought up the term...

"online digging"...

:-flower
WhosThatGirl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by WhosThatGirl »

The best style is no style. Be water my friend.
Alba livin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Alba livin »

mnml Maxi I find my self doing the same. Sticking to Electro and Techno ( my go to genres) and then just shifting through the many pages. Always good though to change it up, makes the process more fun and less repetitive so Ill defs need to start doing that more often. I always go through the labels too but most of the times its a 1 off and the label doesn't have anything else that is appealing but always worth a dig through anyways. Gonna start playing around with genres and years a bit more. Thanks for that mate.

Yea You're very right John, postage in my home country works out to be £3 and arrives the next day. I find the postage is a killer on Discogs coming from anywhere other than the UK for me. On top of that the prices seem to be getting worse so what ever cheap gems I can find its always a bonus for the bank account if its in the UK. haha online digging for me is the only way, my city doesn't have a single record shop in it and the nearest decent one is 150 miles away. Pretty depressing but thank the universe for Discogs or it wouldn't be possible.

WhosThatGirl - I shall be as liquid as I can, solid advice :)

Thanks for sharing folks, Happy digging!
rezoruno
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by rezoruno »

trainspotting

works well for me
sundayafterglow
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sundayafterglow »

I personally don't stick to one method. Sometimes I find something on YouTube by chance or I'm going through some labels/artists catalogs, or I'm using filters and narrow the search as much as possible - style or combination of styles, decade or year, country.

I add everything playable and affordable in my wantlist, which is basically my main source when I decide that I want to buy something. I check if the seller has something else from the wantlist or I browse through his stock for interesting and cheap stuff, so I can purchase multiple records. This is really important for me, as there are almost no sellers from my country. I buy from abroad only and pay a good amount of money for shpping.
Lyro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lyro »

As great as Discogs is, I'm surprised that you don't dig through online vinyl shops at all. Often enough, prices go up on the secondary market, if you can get a record in good condition at all. Sure, you'll also find the same new records on Discogs, but there's a better chance you don't miss anything if you keep an eye on decks, Juno, etc.

Another source that wasn't mentioned yet is SoundCloud. By following the right artists and labels, you stumble upon snippets even before records enter pre-sale. And sometimes you may find super-limited records that are neither distributed through the big shops nor listed for sale on Discogs.
Last edited by Lyro on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.