Occult symbolism in minimal music

- open
0015user
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Occult symbolism in minimal music

Post by 0015user »

When I was 16 I started listening to house music (the ones with artwork of tanned sexy girls and beach cocktails). After a few years my taste developed to minimal, starting with the known dj's like richie hawtin, continuing into the more underground labels/artists. At this point I notice that there is a lot of occult symbolism in the underground minimal that I like.
I see this in terms of triangles with eyes, upside down crosses and other occult references (even a lable who has merged the name 'occult' in their name).

I personally don't like that kind of association (because I grew up religious and learned to avoid it), but somehow the guys who use this kind of stuff usually make the best minimal in my taste.

That's why I really wonder what is the reason for this link between the music and this subject. Is it a 'hype' thing? (like jay-z, nicky minaj, beyonce etc). Or is the occult a real thing in the underground music of today? Do they use the occult in their music to create it how it is?

I hope you guys can give me some answers about this
davrosji
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Occult symbolism in minimal music

Post by davrosji »

interesting first post. I just listen to the music
keep it simple.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

+Or is the occult a real thing in the underground music of today?

no. old recycled pop tread from the madonna 80's.

only now it leaked onto techno covers..

:-flower
0015user
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 0015user »

davrosji wrote:interesting first post. I just listen to the music
Haha well I like to listen to it too, but it's good to be aware of what you listen I think
Last edited by 0015user on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0015user
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 0015user »

John Clees wrote:+Or is the occult a real thing in the underground music of today?

no. old recycled pop tread from the madonna 80's.

only now it leaked onto techno covers..

:-flower
Sure, I think a lot of the cover art is just hype, trying to be interesting and 'spreading awareness'.
But here is something else. A time ago I red a post by a guy on a music production forum who talked about how he likes to do occult experiments on his crowd when performing. That's why I'm wondering if that's bla bla or really a thing dj's/producers do.

Also try to compare these two tracks:
https://www.beatport.com/track/speechle ... ix/7283670

https://www.beatport.com/track/untitled ... ix/5941372

To me they both 'sound' dark. But there's something about the second one.
Besides, the label of the second one has some hidden symbolism. A lot of tracks on that label I don't get that 'more than strange' vibe, but with the second track I do. That, in combination with the hype of the occult artwork and the post I red before, makes me wonder if artists like him really have something to do with the occult, or if it's just all 'pretending' while simply making a dark sounding track with his samples and synths?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

In the end, Marketing is marketing so hype, saying something on purpose or just saying that to get attention, all one in the same..

for longer links, highlight the link, and click on the [url] button to preserve the link.

I've heard stories about rock bands, and record labels doing weird sh!t but I wasn't so sure how factual it was. made for good tv, but other than that I'm not sure sure. Is there good vs. evil in the universe. always. so where/when people do things would be impossible to really know for sure unless you part took in that personally. Neg entities are intelligent, so how, when, why they convince someone to do things may be something we dont ever fully understand. * just saw a show pretty much claiming David Blane, and others alike, about how most if not all magicians all sell their sold to perform tricks and get help from others out of this world/dimension. In this one example back in black/white film, at some point, he was "convinced" he had to swallow a steal tack and he ended up dying 12 days later.

there are all kinds of recording tricks, white noise, better mastering ect... of why one track sounds better than another vs. some type of witchcraft voodoo to made it different.
0015user
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 0015user »

John Clees wrote:In the end, Marketing is marketing so hype, saying something on purpose or just saying that to get attention, all one in the same..

for longer links, highlight the link, and click on the button to preserve the link. I've hea ... ix/7283670

I am still curious what you think would make the difference between these two. Do you hear a specific technique being used, or a reason why the second one feels much more tense and paranoid than the first (while both being dark)?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

0015user wrote: I think you're right about never being sure of what's real or fake, just by what people are saying. Even when you are someone who experiences it's hard to determine if there's a scientific explanation or if it really has something to do with other entities. Besides of that I'm wondering if those magicians you talk about are only 'saying' they are getting help from entities outside of our dimension or not..

The same thing I'm wondering about the tracks I posted earlier. Here are the good links:

https://www.beatport.com/track/speechle ... ix/7283670

I am still curious what you think would make the difference between these two. Do you hear a specific technique being used, or a reason why the second one feels much more tense and paranoid than the first (while both being dark)?
Well they have entirely different landscape. Not sure why you want to compare two tracks. One is playable the other sounds ordinary. They aren't the same. the other one is perhaps mixed down to be very quiet, doesn't really go anywhere in the time chosen for the sample, and follows the standard track journey.

the other dark one is stripped down, mixed down before mastering to be louder I'd guess, crunchier, using dark vocals correctly always makes for a half way interesting track, plus the track sample goes through a stripped down process where other elements come out where the first track sample that was choose doesn't go through many changes and you certainly dont get to hear other elements as you do with the darker track. the mastering could also be a factor. the darker one aesthetically sounds better, let alone feeling, atmosphere, uniqueness, sample volume level, or section chosen for the beatport sample, ect..