How important is vinyl to you?

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: How important is vinyl to you?

Post by John Clees »

sure it the stock market of wax whats truly to be expected? the issue for so so many years was finding a seller and hearing the sample : for decades. remember when discogs nearly went out of business? if it had i'd have missed out on endless music. now they get a % and they should. it helps communication regardless. but yes on a serious note it's sickening to think re-sellers make 1-2-300 x's profit. very ugly and yes as on earth it has it's balances, and its a product of it's environment. even more so to think 50% of the cost involved now goes to shipping across the pond(s).

perhaps I should seek out at bandcamp more often... I signed up as an artist account but you can't merge it with a personal account where you can collect artist. I tried a few times. hopefully that changes or I can just create another account I suppose...
jsz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jsz »

soapz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by soapz »

John Clees wrote:50% of the cost involved now goes to shipping across the pond(s)
Maybe it's just me, but the idea of sending a recording of something across the world via post seems a really old idea. Especially something that most likely existed first as a digital file -urk

Traditions are the enemy of progression! I just hope a few of the artists I follow change their mind so I can actually buy and play their music!

Actually, I remember emailing Mr G one time asking for his track 'Moments' (this was before it was released as digital, around 2005/2006 or something). Back then the only way I could buy the track was to give some dude on discogs my money. I told Mr G that I wanted to give him my money and I wanted the .wav file, not a second hand vinyl sent half way around the planet.

He sent me the track, but didn't want the payment. I guess he felt a bit weird accepting my $2 via paypal, but I really wanted to pay him.

Back then I was convinced that this was the way things would progress. It seemed much more personal buying straight from the artist... but then it never took off and all I saw were more labels popping up with 'limited editions' and 'hand stamped' gimmicks, scarcity became cool, people moaned about digital music and always associated it with mp3's and beatport... and discogs sellers continued to raise prices and created small businesses from doing so, and people complaining about that as well..

..and then threads (like this one we're in now) pop up, where people admit that they wouldn't buy from an artist who they loved the music of, if they sold their music as digital as they wouldn't trust them. From some twisted idea that music isn't real as a file (even though it was most likely a digital file before it was put onto vinyl), isn't as valuable and that we can't trust artists that don't follow the traditional way of releasing their music.

I think it's obvious what the problem is.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

soapz wrote:the idea of sending a recording of something across the world via post seems a really old idea. Especially something that most likely existed first as a digital file -urk
Well if you "collect" anything you must acquire it. it's the format of choice for myself and many others. The idea of collecting vinyl in and of itself isn't suppose to be easy, affordable, and it's a complete inconvenienced which is why most take the digital route. I buy more vinyl now than I did many years ago and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
soapz wrote:Traditions are the enemy of progression!
the entire digital thing went out years ago and the majority of people use laptops or usb players so to me that is "traditional". I don't know how many years should pass in theory, but you could almost call digital traditional now.
soapz wrote:where people admit that they wouldn't buy from an artist who they loved the music of, if they sold their music as digital as they wouldn't trust them. From some twisted idea that music isn't real as a file
Who said that exactly?
soapz wrote:and that we can't trust artists that don't follow the traditional way of releasing their music.
I think it's obvious what the problem is.
this was when the word trust was used :
cbld wrote: I can fully trust a label or artist that releases on vinyl as I know that they are not doing it for the money because lets be honest how much money does an artist make by putting out a record?
so it's not so obvious and I wasn't aware there was any type of problem?

:-flower
naver9000
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by naver9000 »

DJing in a club is I think more fun with vinyl. Especially with another mate. With mp3s I dont know what to do with myself because the computer does everything in a second ^^
Recycle_Rec
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Recycle_Rec »

I'm a vinyl feticist, but I love digital too :-)
I love music