Discogs turns 15, exceeds $43 million in sales for 2015

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

The online catalogue and retailer has sold over 2.5 million records this year alone.

Discogs has divulged some recent sales figures, with more than $43 million in transactions registered so far this year.
The online retailer, which is celebrating its 15th birthday in 2015, gave Billboard some proprietary data about its recent transactions. So far in 2015, the website has facilitated $43.5 million in sales—that's over 2.5 million records, half a million CDs and 50,000 tapes. The figures reflect a general industry-wide increase in vinyl sales, with the stats in the US at a 25-year high. The average price of vinyl at Discogs has risen over the years, from $10 in 2010 to $13.37 last year, and the user base has grown to almost three million. This year also saw the most expensive record ever sold on Discogs, at a price of $5,958.36 (it was Judge's Chung King Can Suck It).

Discogs was founded in 2000 by Oregon-based programmer Kevin Lewandowski as a catalogue for electronic music, specifically drum & bass and techno. It's since expanded to a 40-person operation, with its head office just outside Portland and another one in the Netherlands. They've also got a mobile app on the way for release next year.
http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=32227
davrosji
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Discogs turns 15, exceeds $43 million in sales for 2015

Post by davrosji »

I am proud that i was able to contribute to this and it seems many others did too!
keep it simple.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

was just curious... can a seller see if you put something in a cart?

I found 4 good records and ordered them, read several neg reviews about the rating of the several records, and thought perhaps it was best to only order so many at a time, see how they came, and then proceed.

I had two other records I wanted that were in my cart, and within 24 hours of my order the other record/album was removed.

thought I'd ask.
damnwords
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by damnwords »

no, the seller cannot see if you add something from him in the cart.
once you press buy, the order gets created with the items.

an item gets removed from your cart if somebody else buys it (from that seller) or if it becomes unavailable.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

thanks for the quick response. waited 10 years for this sucker... and whallaaa.... gone.

I wrote the seller anyways to see if perhaps it was still an option...