Master Thesis HELP!

- open
Cali Can
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Master Thesis HELP!

Post by Cali Can »

Hello everybody,

I have a question relating to my master thesis about the topic "Vinyl VS Digital" in my Art studies.
One part of the thesis will contain the current situation on the music industry. This means that I wanna compare sale numbers of the different mediums and how the music industry is generally evolving at the moment. As the thesis will just focus on (underground) electronic music, I wanted to ask you guys if you have any source that shows some numbers of the electronic music market today, for example sales, which medium is selling in what ways and on what platforms and so on.

If you have ANYTHING, I'll be more than thankful!

Ah and the thesis is also focussing a bit more on germany, but I think that any information related on any country can be helpful!

Thanks in advance! Peace
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: Master Thesis HELP!

Post by John Clees »

I know there was a few topics, myself included where there was a chart of vinyl sales that was showing an increase the past 7 years in a row. I know it didnt compare digital sales to vinyl but at least it covered half of what you're looking for. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Cali Can
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cali Can »

Hi John!

Thank you for your answer!
I think that I have that chart, but it's just including the sales of every genre combining the sale number. That's helpful for sure, but I'm looking for some sort of chart that just relates to (underground) electronic music. If anybody of you has seen such statistics, you would help me a lot!
SanderMartin
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SanderMartin »

Getting the numbers you want will be quite hard i reckon. For starters Juno, Decks.De etc won't just give away senisitive company information regarding sales. Also they don't give their releases tags like 'underground' and 'not for the masses'. Underground techno and big room techno is still 'techno' to them.

You could email the bigger vinyl shops, maybe they'll give you something. Judging from your post any information is welcome :)
Cali Can
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cali Can »

Yes I think so, too. I'll contact them and really hope to just get anything interesting.