Launch a label

- open
ksaen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Launch a label

Post by ksaen »

brau wrote:Hey,

I just started my label last December. I think John was very clear and I agree with him. The best I can do is share my Process:

I took 2 years, thinking in the right moment to launch the project. Im also a graphic designer and i have, again, to agree with John. Graphic part can be a very important step on the success of your label. Take Smallville as example. If you are going for a 300 pressing copies, take note, you will never go for break even if you have a full cover EP. Only with the repress you will be able to cover the costs. In my first EP i spend 1800 euros in 385 copies. Paying the artist, mastering, printing and pressing. I will risk a full cover, since in the future can make the diference, but im suspect, since im a vinyl addict.

So, im my case i didn't have the design costs, and its me who pick up the tracks, also a crucial point in the success of your label. Go carefully, i listened more than 20 times each track, in home, in a club, with my girlfriend, friends, among others.

At the end, if you are in this just for fun, go for it! I hope you have the money. :)

By the way, My label is Helena. The first EP is from Hinode ( Science fiction rec, Berlin). GO to the facebook page and see the promotion process, from the beginning until now, maybe helps.

Good Luck!! 8)
Thank you for your insight!
How do you approach distribution? Do you have a distributor? Was it easy to get one? What are the conditions?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Also to add, a friend of mine who initially released, Detroit Grand Pubahs track "Sandwiches", I ran into last summer. Even after releasing records for about 20 years now, he said he still only gets 200-300 copies, and said he ships about 25 records at a time to Juno and a few other sites..

Initially when I pressed records was right after 9-11 some time ago, I sent my white label to Watt's distribution who actually did call back about the release. Watts and most the other major distribution companies completely crumbled shortly after and the market then for vinyl distribution was at it's all time low.

curious to also hear certain distribution arrangements as well.
brau
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by brau »

ksaen wrote:
brau wrote:Hey,

I just started my label last December. I think John was very clear and I agree with him. The best I can do is share my Process:

I took 2 years, thinking in the right moment to launch the project. Im also a graphic designer and i have, again, to agree with John. Graphic part can be a very important step on the success of your label. Take Smallville as example. If you are going for a 300 pressing copies, take note, you will never go for break even if you have a full cover EP. Only with the repress you will be able to cover the costs. In my first EP i spend 1800 euros in 385 copies. Paying the artist, mastering, printing and pressing. I will risk a full cover, since in the future can make the diference, but im suspect, since im a vinyl addict.

So, im my case i didn't have the design costs, and its me who pick up the tracks, also a crucial point in the success of your label. Go carefully, i listened more than 20 times each track, in home, in a club, with my girlfriend, friends, among others.

At the end, if you are in this just for fun, go for it! I hope you have the money. :)

By the way, My label is Helena. The first EP is from Hinode ( Science fiction rec, Berlin). GO to the facebook page and see the promotion process, from the beginning until now, maybe helps.

Good Luck!! 8)
Thank you for your insight!
How do you approach distribution? Do you have a distributor? Was it easy to get one? What are the conditions?

Well, first i´ve made a clear email about the label, with references and future artists. I sent to all the artists i wanted for the label as well to the distributor. But obvious is all about having the right contacts. Diamonds n Pearls was completely full of work so I went to Subwax. They loved the Label philosophy and they accepted the challenge. :)
ms500
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ms500 »

I'd say the best advice from experience is expect it be costly, expect it to take time to build up and make sure you believe in what you're putting out.

For me though the most important thing is to make sure you stay true to yourself and don't sacrifice your artistic vision for sales or anything like that because that road will soon suck the life out of your label.
brau
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by brau »

ms500 wrote:I'd say the best advice from experience is expect it be costly, expect it to take time to build up and make sure you believe in what you're putting out.

For me though the most important thing is to make sure you stay true to yourself and don't sacrifice your artistic vision for sales or anything like that because that road will soon suck the life out of your label.

You´ve made my words. I took 2 years thinking in this project. I can say this: i´ve made 385 copies, only 20 are at the distributor now. And with this, I just lost 400 euros. JUST. :)

I making this with love and passion. Hope you´re ready!!
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Thanks again for sharing your details. :)

that's why I mentioned the price actually doubling depending on the art work vs. a stamp or hand signed.. some may start with white labels and get a few releases going with distributors vs. others may jump head first double ep, full front page art work, full color centers and/or even in some case designs printed on inner center prices, as I was looking into working with a local artist. They could be sent to the pressing plant to use the centers for the vinyl pressing process as I explored that option at Archer Record Pressing in Detroit last year.

expect the loss, have fun, learn your way, and as mentioend "believe" in the music your putting out at all times.

I commend the courage to take a leap into the darkness and unknown.

best wishes and good luck!