fck Reissues!

- open
ste-waite
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

fck Reissues!

Post by ste-waite »

I as much as the next guy love it when i'm able to buy release that I missed out on. And with my age there are a lot. I also do not like to pay over the odds to Discogs sharks and would much rather my money go to the label and producer.

However in this day an age where there are limited pressing plants available, surely the amount of reissues is having a negative effect on our music. They take up pressing plant space, and in turn independent label lead times suffer. People are spending their money on online shops, instead of investing in new artists and labels.

What does everyone else think, surley it's better to invest in new music and artists , if you are to keep a genre healthy?
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: fck Reissues!

Post by Themis »

reissues are responsible for longer pressing time of other releases? i dont think so really, i think the pressing plant doesnt really care which release they are pressing.
and if there is a shortage on pressing plants, i guess there will soon open new ones.

also i think there are not many people who really have to make the decision: should i buy the classic, or something new.
most people just buy both, at least i do.

maybe you can tell us from where your opinion comes, do you have a label, are you a producer?
ste-waite
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ste-waite »

Yeah i'm just starting to release music myself and have heard a few people who have labels also complain about this. It's not possible to just open up another pressing plant as there are no companies making the pressing equipment anymore.
ste-waite
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ste-waite »

The pressing plant doesn't care what it is pressing but if they are pressing 500+ copies of classics this effects how often small independent labels can press as the plants only have limited capacity.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

that only sets the timeframe in which you are able to get your pressings.

like when there is heavy load, 6 weeks, when there is not so much, 4 weeks.

i mean how many releases do you wanna put out? one every month? then i would say the pressing time plays a role.
but most new labels have a plan for maybe 2 releases or 3. it simply doesnt matter if the pressing takes 2 weeks longer. the music is still the same 2 weeks later.. you just have to plan things before hand.

there are labels like L.I.E.S who put out like 20 releases a year, they sure dont have problems with their pressing plant.

and believe me it sure is possible to make pressing equipment its not high tech. thats just a matter of economics, when there is a certain demand, it is cost-effective to invest into more pressing capacity.

i just find it weird to blame classics and pressing plants for not selling music.

every DJ i know will favor in most situations something new that nobody ever heard over a classic that everybody heard a million times. but it has to be good.. nobody plays new stuff just cause its new.
(of course a classic here and there is nothing bad)

i mean i get that it is hard for producers nowadays, cause you have all this good music to measure your own music against. i get the idea that it would be great if nobody could buy the old stuff or knew about it. would make much easier for new producers.
ste-waite
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ste-waite »

I haven't started selling music yet, i'm just going on what i'v been hearing from other people a lot lately. I just don't think it's that healthy when people are spending a lot on reissues.
pure_evil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pure_evil »

I don't get it. So people should stop buying reissues of "classics", or better yet stop repressing all together, so we buy music from new artists ?
fear_of_flying
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fear_of_flying »

as a label owner and someone who regularly puts out vinyl releases for many different labels I can say from experience that we are indeed in a difficult period for lead times. However, it's not really the case that independents putting out 're-issues' that is the problem, the issue, perversely, is Record Store Day and the irony of major labels getting back into the game, flooding the plants with releases (admittedly some of which are re-issues) which has had a knock-on effect for all other jobs as there are only so many pressing plants left with only so many slots to fill.

Unfortunately opening a new plant is a very hard thing to do, economically it's not viable, not in the slightest - the last vinyl pressing machines were made in the 80s which seems barmy but true and getting hold of those machines that are left is a nightmare - there are supposed to be a bunch over South-America way but no one can seem to locate them.

Themis is right though, as long as a label plans their release schedule then what is the issue? the records will still be released - our last Leif release took 5 months from handing over the WAV to getting copies in the shops but then if you want a consistent release schedule then you take that into consideration - we're not particularly fussed at the moment.