Minimal minimal?

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: Minimal minimal?

Post by John Clees »

Pervade wrote:And straight up telling someone that you're going to judge them? What a way to welcome them to a forum.
sarcasm with a touch of humor maybe? the person who he's speaking to said something sarcastic, and used the word "judge", and he was being sarcastic back using the same term...

also, there are seth posts here and there. I've recorded dj sets, as well as posted more than a few other projects with seth from before he moved out of detroit. I also posted a live dj set recording of him at TV bar in Detroit a few years ago, as well as posted one of his interviews which is in another section as well.

* our search feature here not the greatest. when we did an update in 2012 or so, anything posted before that doesn't come up in searches. not sure if you attempted to do a search before you posted. sometimes it's easier to do a google search and use the website address.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

MlclmDXXX wrote:I'm not EDM, but I'm just closer to EDM on the scale than you are!
this close? haha. had to. :-flower
https://www.facebook.com/YourEdm/videos ... 504033241/
"the informations just not going in" ironically the vocal says at the very end.

being thirsty for knowledge and taking time to ask is a beautiful thing. have you been to our dj sets section yet? I've posted some of the better sets I've heard recently, as well as their are many many more naturally.

also if someone played a re.edit or did a remix of marshal Jefferson people would talk about it. a hot record is a hot record. so, it's not that anyone doesn't want talk about any artist on purpose for that matter, but if they haven't don't anything in sometime, it would take member such as yourself to give that artist/dj some attention here. for the most part I don't see any real snobbery just refined options/taste that take years to develop. people that actually have something to say vs. just media hype bandwagon jumping...

also I think personally the invisible misunderstanding is a new generation of "give me the answers now" vs. people that dug for 1000's of hours digging to obtain their own style, knowledge, and individual acquired taste. quite frankly and perhaps a huge majority growing up, we didn't have this forum. so when a new generation is the information age, for a gigantic majority, people almost feel entitled to be have all the answered just handed to them. some members here don't choose to share, some will give hints, some may take offense.. everyone naturally has different perspectives. one's response or post could also be a "reaction" of the users previous post..

now someone's delivery, taste, humor, and sense of sarcasm may not always be the same, and being in a forum where you can't tell someone's tone, on occasion, things are bound to go too far on rare occasions. usually multiple layers of misunderstanding. I've really tried to keep this forum free from bad energy for many years now. letting people be themselves. if I ever see things getting out of hand it's addressed specifically. I can't obviously be everywhere all the time. information, inspiration, and liked minded spirits have always been the attraction to this forum since 2005/2006..
MlclmDXXX wrote:I notice that there's never much discussion of fairly mainstream DJs or producers, and wonder why that is.
why exactly? they have RA and other places to read all up on main stream dj's. minimal has never been mainstream and perhaps never will. so asking why you dont see main stream dj's ? the short answer, it was never meant to be a mainstream source. perhaps most also feel, they are extremely wealthy, and most get funneled in huge dj gigs, and just run for the money sort to speak. if you will, think of this forum as rooting for the underdogs. promoting mainstream artist is the exact opposite of what you may see here. it's all those under discovered artist that are talented. so good question but - we are not like the rest and i'm extremely thankful for that.

don't all other forums/blogs/websites/facebook, ect... cover the mainstream enough already? they have enough media coverage to last a century. being close here to detroit, I was going to make a joke about having so much coverage they are practically on the news but that actually applies being festival weekend. -squint I was forced to hear marco carola for 3/4 hours a few festivals ago at an after party and I wanted to smash my eye into a pencil. the first track sounded like the last. I felt it was completely soulless. no rhythm, no peaks or valleys, no depth, no culture. bang bang bang was all I heard for 4 straight hours and i'm not even sure I could hear hh or claps.. people do tend to play different when they come to detroit, but needless to say musically for me it was a horrific nightmare.. perhaps others also share that opinion here... -surprised flower

I truly hope this forum provides you years of inspiration and knowledge as it's done for so many of us for so many years...

welcome to the forum :!:
MlclmDXXX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MlclmDXXX »

Thanks John, some great answers there.

As an aspiring DJ/producer, I have also thought about moving to Berlin to further my knowledge, experience and networking potential.

What are people's thoughts about London vs Berlin?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

London is extremely expensive to live and work visas may be more challenging than berlin from what I understand.
MlclmDXXX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MlclmDXXX »

John Clees wrote:London is extremely expensive to live and work visas may be more challenging than berlin from what I understand.
I already live in London!

I'm thinking about a move to DE. I would just like to know which is better for learning and surrounding myself with the music.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

MlclmDXXX wrote:
John Clees wrote:London is extremely expensive to live and work visas may be more challenging than berlin from what I understand.

I'm thinking about a move to DE. I would just like to know which is better for learning and surrounding myself with the music.
only you could answer that based on how balanced you felt in each place. have you ever visited? why do you feel the need to move there?

:-flower
MlclmDXXX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MlclmDXXX »

John Clees wrote:
MlclmDXXX wrote:

only you could answer that based on how balanced you felt in each place. have you ever visited? why do you feel the need to move there?

:-flower
London living costs are too high, so I want another centre of house/techno that isn't as expensive.
MlclmDXXX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MlclmDXXX »

Breton, what do you think of Mr. G?