Re: "Shazam teams up with Juno rec"

Post by LSTL »

old news, already wasted half of my brain on it
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i cant imagine this will be a valuable partnership moneywise.
they want to add "vinyl only" records to their database.
so how are they making money?

most vinyl records are in store for maybe a month, high demanded even only for days.
at the time someone identifies the track on the dancefloor, you cant buy it anymore, hence juno make no money, hence shazam makes no money.
even worse, they have now tracks in their database, of which they never can make money.
thats the advantage of digital, you can buy it whenever and how often you want.

also im pretty sure "selected" means, records juno themself distribute, cause im pretty sure for the software of shazam to work you need the FULL track. i dont believe juno will rip whole records for shazam. so the would have to have the master files.

what i actually believe is, they bought like with beatport all the digital juno files. juno then said, hey we distribute some vinyls where we have the masters, lets index these too and see how it turns out.

and what came out of it, is shazam telling everyone, "hey we got vinyl identification also".
damnwords
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by damnwords »

Since Shazam received $40M in investments just last year, the juno db might have costed them very little. Also, a 420M userbase is something..
It might not be about making a lot of money, it might just be a quick win : juno pays some costs of keeping all those samples, shazam improves the rate of detection so that their users are happy.
Then Shazam can think of other ways to make money of those 420M users.

Also, if I owned juno and the big fish Shazam tells me they want to pay for something that was already payed by me, sure, I'd re-sell the hell out of those samples.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

you dont really understand damnwords

shazam is not interested in "samples", the software needs the FULL track.

to identify a track with only a 1 minute sample would be pure luck, and not a buisness. also the samples are free on the internet already shazam wouldnt have to "buy" them, just programm a crawler to donwload them all from the various websites. google does the same, its also a big database, it just doesnt analyse the mp3s it finds.

but again this is not how the software works, you need the full track.

and again there is no money in it to ID vinyls
if they identify the new david guetta track 5 million times and 1 million times the track is bought through a link from the shazam software, and they get 10% of every sale, they made a lot of money
now think about how many DJs play vinyl only tracks, not so many, that means only a few people even listen to those DJs, and even fewer use a software like shazam to ID a track, and then they cant even buy it cause its already sold out.

its just a marketing gag.
damnwords
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by damnwords »

Themis wrote:you dont really understand damnwords
shazam is not interested in "samples", the software needs the FULL track.
to identify a track with only a 1 minute sample would be pure luck, and not a buisness. also the samples are free on the internet already shazam wouldnt have to "buy" them, just programm a crawler to donwload them all from the various websites. google does the same, its also a big database, it just doesnt analyse the mp3s it finds.
but again this is not how the software works, you need the full track.
Spend some minutes reading this : http://www.soyoucode.com/2011/how-does- ... gnize-song
Also, you don't have enough ip's to crawl something like beatport. Not at the rate they can automatically ban those ip's

It could be just a marketing thing, meh.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

we will see, i dont believe shazam will ever recognize samples from old records, only cause juno had a 30 second clip (and for old records 30 seconds, was normal, back in the day)
they store a mathematical interpretation of the song, the problem would be if they make this interpretation only from a 30 second file, its not really accurate.
most tracks change, elements come and go, if they would do this interpretation from a 30 second file they would probably miss important elements of the track, elements that in combination maybe are unique in that track.
so of course they could analyse a 30 second file, better than nothing, but i dont think they do. we will never know :)

if i search with shazam i get false positives quite often, i guess the shorter the file you analyse the more it is similar to others. only the full length, all elements in combination can get a unique fingerprint i think.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Themis wrote:i cant imagine this will be a valuable partnership moneywise.
they want to add "vinyl only" records to their database. .
perfect :!:
so how are they making money?
perhaps they get a commision/credit and it's tracked obviously if a purchase is made vinyl or mp3 via the link provided by shazaam.
Themis wrote:we will see, i dont believe shazam will ever recognize samples from old records, - 30 second file, its not really accurate.
based on what?
Themis wrote:only cause juno had a 30 second clip (and for old records 30 seconds, was normal, back in the day)
juno having 30 second clips / old records / normal... what?
What does a juno clip have to do with id'ing tracks..
I don't follow your criticizing logic

Themis wrote:if i search with shazam i get false positives quite often, i guess the shorter the file you analyse the more it is similar to others. only the full length, all elements in combination can get a unique fingerprint i think.
ever attempted to id a track several times? I have and found it. sometimes 4-5 times getting a general name, then tracking down the proper remix.

I'm sure they are going through a gigantic transition at the moment.. nothing is going to be full proof with something like that, but the idea that could help significantly to the many id's ppl want.. is a start in a magical direction.. attempting to be so critical of something that will help artists get exposure I dont understand. the world isn't black/white or perfect and neither will an id software company to "help" ppl id tracks..

I thought they always were with juno, then they get another wave of popularity, and perhaps juno didn't set up to the plate. glad juno is back involved and I think it's a wonderful thing and now adding vinyl is even better.