Roland AIRA TR-8 vs Roland TR-909 & TR-808 comparison demos

- open
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Roland AIRA TR-8 vs Roland TR-909 & TR-808 comparison de

Post by breton »

John Clees wrote:just curious as to just how long it (may) be before...
the marketing drops just a little..on 808/909
Don't hold your breath, mate.

I'm surprised that no one has made a 909 clone yet though. I've seen DIY kits but they're just too much hassle.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Fyi Acidlab is making a 606 clone and a 150 € pocket 303. :P

http://www.acidlab.de

I guess the close to a 909 clone would be the jomox 888/999, they look as solid as expensive they are though.

John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

breton wrote:
John Clees wrote:just curious as to just how long it (may) be before...
the marketing drops just a little..on 808/909
Don't hold your breath, mate.

I'm surprised that no one has made a 909 clone yet though.
I've seen DIY kits but they're just too much hassle.
yeah. thats exactly what I was afraid of.. -surprised flower
I think i'd go after an 808 1st before a 909..

- nice video. I like the wood appeal..
that site was nice too.... for some up and coming remakes..
(Analog drumcomputer based on the circuits of the 808.)

Im sure the market now that roland pushed things forward again..
may create a trickle effect for the next 5 years..
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

oh ha, something to explain here:

jomox888 and jomox999 aren`t clones of the 909 or 808. Both machines were not created to be like a 909 or a 808.

They can EMULATE it!!!

The Jomox Boxes have their own sound. One thing they have common to old Rolands: you need an EQ and a compressor after them. Ah, i forgot to mention that the OS had some bugs in the past. The 999 can use the OS of the 888.

Acidlab tried to create with the Miami a Clone of the 808. I had one in the past and i was really really happy when i sold it. Such a thing of crap. Very cheap housing, plastic knobs, 9V power converter outside the housing (i hate it to death). Soundwise only the Kick and the maybe the Toms are nice. Clap and Snare are a bad joke.

So whats going here with the Miama? Acidlab redesigned the circuits with SMD chips and PCBs. The real 808 is build with discrete units not with SMD (of course the 808 has a CPU, but not for the sound). Also they used SIMILAR transistors etc., some of the original parts which were used in the old 808 are discontinued. Thats why the sound is different.

To get a real 808 back, you have consider the problems i pointed out before.

Breton is right with the DIY Projects:

for the 808: http://www.e-licktronic.com/en/27-yocto ... tr808.html

for the 909: http://www.synthage.com/

long solder nights, with ammeter, soldering iron etc., keep in mind that they are half the price!!

I heard of a very intersting 808 project, it was mentioned on Mail List (Synth DIY). Its a DSP based 808 Clone designed by Richie Burnett. http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/temp/ Hope this will be forced to get ready.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Mmmmh, that's strange i've mostly read great reviews about the miami. Yes, it's not a 1:1 clone but still, 808 are pricey. Fwiw here you can see one in the studio of the one and only...

Maybe yours was faulty? I read the clap was not very nice on the first batch of units, but that has been already sorted.

The jomox yeah, they definitely have a sound on their own. Although I'm not very fan of their kick.

So far I'm very happy with the mfb, received it yesterday and played with it till late... the kicks mmmmmmmmm delicious!! :lol:
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

If you knew ;)

Ricardo uses the Miami sometimes. Show me a machine that he doesnt have, had or used. Even Software! He is a painter in his atelier! He uses what he wants, like or think is right for this particular moment. Machines are like Records for him: something new, lets try it!! He is over the top, cause its his Passion, its him: the one and only 'Lobbos.

Same with Dimbiman but this is another story (where is his output?)

You must use what you want, like, etc. I pointed it out before.

USE LESS NOT MORE!!!

My Miami wasnt faulty. Its a common problem with its snare and clap. Some guys detune their instruments by modifying the internal poti positions (adding more noise).
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Please tell me, my ears are wide open :lol: :lol:

Btw as I understand you are using an analog setup, are you using any mixer? I would like to found something in the 500 euro price range that will add some character to the sound. Do you know something specific to look into? Or im better looking for tape recorders? The studers used by these guys look and i bet sound amazing, but yeah, 5k euro....
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

hehe ;)

yes i`m using a hybrid setup. I have one main sequencer, samplers, synths, drummachines, outboard fx and an analog mixing desk which is connected via an interface (RME) to the computer. A classic Setup. I can work with and without the computer. I record my sessions by the sub outs or main out from my desk, either to DAT or to the computer. Drums have their own path for compression. The finished mix runs as a stereo signal from the DAW Software to a second compressor. With that setup and work flow i can combine hard and software easily and can give the software the right sound.

For 500€ price segment i can recommend the old mackie, soundcraft, tascam or allen&heath desks.

I love the typical soundcraft (some famous djs and producer uses them) and mackie sound. Mackie Desks are adding a nice compression to your sound, soundcraft has these crystal clear feeling.

Studer is nice but i like these raw sound of techno, haha. Overdriving the desk and wait until the compressor is hot enough, etc.

Studer was yesterday: http://www.zaehl-am1.com/ used by the usual suspects. 40000 for a 16Channel Desk is not bad

Check this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs0EMOhH23U