What was the very first house record ever made?

- open
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

What was the very first house record ever made?

Post by breton »

jswe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: What was the very first house record ever made?

Post by jswe »

Haha brilliant responses.

ps. here comes 6 months worth of vocal samples for the edits.
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Uh, well, roughly 30 years ago..
Dal-Tech
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dal-Tech »

House was just a ghetto term for a type of post disco music coming from young black artist from Chicago (Southside). If you go around the US to urban areas there's slang words like "crunk" (southern). All the over-worshiping of the term house is pretty stupid for that reason especially by Europeans and commercial EDM artist.

That being said the first house record would have been by Jesse Saunders "On and On"
The first record with the term house would have been by Chip E.

Even though Chicago had its disco scene, disco edits or what not house was really the young bucks during the 1980s making their own sound using drum machines like the TR-808, Linn Drum et al. and later the 909.

Later you would have NY house even though NY had a similar sound derived from disco like the Peech Boys, Visual, etc.
Then there would be Euro house, Italo house, after or about the time acid house caught on in Europe (the late 1980s).

What I just wrote is the most accurate answer you are going to get.
Dal-Tech wrote: Everyone else is trying to be cool, not me.
hey everybody : I'm a douche !
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

funny video, but regarding the question: who cares?
feels like the 100th "History of Apple Computer" or "How Microsoft changed the World" Documentation.
people tend to over glorify the past and try to bring it down to one single factor who decided everything.

like they glorify steve jobs to the single greatest genius of computer history, without this man nothing of what is today would ever be happening blabla..

and now we are searching the FIRST HOUSE RECORD EVER !! clearly in search of the human who set all these events in motion.

history in general is a really subjective topic. things happen in a way cause of a million variables, that set things in motion over years and all influence each other. its so complex that humans may never grasp, even the most tiny events like why an atom moved to point A and not B.

but here we are now asking the really simple question: who made the first house record. implying the question: who started it all? and how did it happen?

of course the answer will be something exceptionally simple, something you could put down in a one hour documentation about house.
like, it was james burger, his father was a genius violin player, james started making music at 4 years, without him the world would not know what house is.

or the authors of this video realized how pointless this question really is, and made fun of it - then i salute them :)
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Themis wrote: or the authors of this video realized how pointless this question really is, and made fun of it - then i salute them :)
Trying to bring forth the opinions of some of the best minds to ever walk the earth in house music and peak inside their thoughts to ask when or who, to gain insight on their influences from the people who influence us today is much deeper than pointless. I think it proves that there is more than just one answer, and there's no such thing as "the right" answer.

As claimed the term itself "techno" came from Detroit, but the music itself was global and took decades to shape before the "term" was stamped to the music.

So the term house came from Chicago but the same thing applies. It took decades to shape before. It's a term which is nothing more than a category that someone placed with the music. It was naturally evolved 4 x 4 from the 60's, going through the 70's, and changing from the term "disco" to "house".

Perhaps very soon after juan atkins was calling electro tracks techno around 1984. Juan had an electro track called "techno city" right as the "term" quickly caught on. I was say the same would apply to the term "house".

Chicago was also jazz influenced like detroit, but they wanted to have their own thing to claim. I think Theo had a great point . There is house sounding music before the term, just as techno, and there is a track or a release with the term "house" in it after...which is more than likely the most honest answer.

The question : what is the earliest track recorded in history that has the term house in the title or release that was dance 4x4?
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

Dal-Tech wrote:
Themis wrote:who cares?
House is a little played out but so is a lot of dance music.
i think you misunderstood me.

you could aks all these old guys, what is house?
and they would all talk an hour and at the end you wouldnt be sure if they all meant the same thing.

thats just the limitation of speech.

its like the question "What is love?"
these questions have a point if you ask a person in the way: what means the word love for you?

if asked like in the video, rallying up old guys and asked them in the way: hey you are all long around you have to know this, what was the first house record?
implying there is actually a "first" house record.
its not a question of influence or what is the earliest house record you can remember. cause i believe these guys wouldnt have to think that hard to give an answer to that.

theo parrish trys to turn it into a legit question that actually has an answer.

but i think this was the intention of the authors, to rally up all these legends and ask a simple even childish question, and see them all searching for an answer.

only cause you put words thogether and form a grammatically valid sentence, does not mean there is any sense behind it.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

what is love... that's a riot... this is my first dig and search for the chase of it..
not sure how much earlier you're going to get an actual house
sounding cut vs disco before 83/84

Jesse Saunders ‎– Fantasy - 1984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFIMliwtRjI#t=46

*p.s. Saunders wrote and recorded the 1983 single (released in March 1984)