Sound Cloud becoming corp jockey's in bed with fb.

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Sound Cloud becoming corp jockey's in bed with fb.

Post by John Clees »

now the prices of sound cloud partnership exclusively with facebook seems like a corp jockey sleez i'm starting not to like and may not contribute anymore. $155 to have more than 4 hrs.... they go from $55 4 hrs to $155...to unlimited, that just seems a little unreasonable.

I've always been very very late to jump on the sound cloud wagon, open an account but not doing really anything with it for years. also due to distributing my own music for over 10 years off my website. Sure sound cloud is a nice tool but at the same time I think it's crossing into creating a market where people may perceive it as a necessity to HAVE to pay.. it's just so clouded with so many post now, when I get 40 notifications a day, I just clear them and don't bother to listen to any of them... so back to my point..

it's just clustered with corp control and so may artist may feel forced to pay, then having (Unlimited) music, which then creates a endless amounts of nothing tracks and mixes to listen to, nearly creating the site to be useless .... so what's the point... other than they are getting all your money and it's a self created market... based on pure perception...yes I'm aware for the bigger artist it's a feed your fanbase can have instance access, but you can also do the same thing your self with feeds from a website with your own new feed, and wouldn't need to put any of your music up at sound cloud...

perhaps I'm counting my pennies more now a days, but I dont find tracks or podcast off there that I actually use, listen to or download. I found one actually in about two years come to thing of it..i kinda liked ...I really really try to listen to as many as I can, but it's just clustered with nonsense...it's get old even trying to find good mixes on there any more...

which brings be back to more faith in this forum... if they are good or decent they will surface here... more than likely..

just my thought and my rant... feel free to share you thoughts if you would..

-surprised flower
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: Sound Cloud becoming corp sleezy jockey's in bed with fb

Post by Themis »

they just made less different plans you can buy now

before there was a plan for unlimited with i believe 500 € a year.

so now there are only 3 plans.

free up to 2 hours
semi-free (30 € a year) with up to 4 hours
unimited 100 € a year.

we paid last year already 80 € for not even the highest plan, now we get the best plan for 100 € a year.

in my opinion not so bad.

maybe they should make something in between with like 12 hours for 50 €.
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

I am more on the consumer side there... staying with the free plan to upload an occasional mix, that's nothing special.

On the other side at the moment sc is one of my main sources for music. Mixes, tracks, artists, genres... I constantly discover new things there which I actually DO like and which do inspire me - established as well as small/new/unestablished. More than enough tracks I'd buy straight away on vinyl if I had the money... Still the amount of stuff I see on my board is easily scanned through, let's say one to three good mixes per day and a couple of tracks which are worth listening to... And I'd say it's not soo easy to please me... would be interesting why your view is so different. For me currently it's kind of the perfect online/digital music source. Actually it's my only *digital* music source... and no, I am not working for them (though I'd like to...)
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Themis wrote:
free up to 2 hours
semi-free (30 € a year) with up to 4 hours
unimited 100 € a year.

perhaps nearly the same. I just check my choices are

Free two hours / less than 100 plays.

or $55/year for 4 hrs

or $135/year for unlimited

last year I bought the 4 hr plan then, they offered a discounted plan to for the upgrade several months later. but thus again, brilliant marketing. creating a program to have artist post their mixes or tracks gaining exposure, only to be bait and switched into a system where you going to have to now continue to pay year after year or you lose everything and all your momentum.

tracking my downloads from my own website, just in the past 5 years, i've had more than 50,000 downloads for my releases alone, not including dj mixes. years later my live set popped again having more than 4000 downloads nearly 4 years later. this is my point it was a short cut for ppl or artist to get their music online..but these prices and the cover your tracks until you pay us, but we discounted you to get you to put them there is great marketing.. I just think it's not something I'm going to continue to pay year after year on a credit card collecting interest.. lol

if your getting notifications from the labels themselves, or the websites your buying music from whats the need from sound cloud? audio samples? I'm already getting bombarded with too many emails, now your soundlcoud app bothering you on your phone. I need less technology in my life and more time to create, not 100 emails and notifications from 10 sources all saying the same thing... I dont get it. plus their prices are pigon hold the markting partnering with facebook.

to me it's like the RA hype years ago too... I may jump at the $55 one, or none at all, and just start tracking out stuff and send them to labels. in 15 years I've only sent my stuff to 4 maybe 5 labels, and perhaps i'm just in a place in my life where the need to create is upon me but I'm more willing to sharing my music now more than ever and let the labels worry about the things that go with promotion. I find it exhausting really. I've done a full decade of self distribution.. but in the end, if you own a website, and links get copied and carried over YOU are the source... not some 3rd party.

I still think i'ts more beneficial to self distribute your own stuff directly vs. using sound cloud. it's way to crowded for my taste.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

also: I'd rather let the 20-50 ppl on here with extremely better taste point out some goodies..vs. filtering through 100's upon 100's of ppls stuff they post..

perhaps im just shitty my newer 3 hr mix eats up all my time there..ha