The State of Dance Music

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: The State of Dance Music

Post by Themis »

haha, no comment.

what i meant to say was, the quality is not really relevant to the discussion :)
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

Themis wrote:the quality is not really relevant to the discussion
Indeed.

I was just thinking how there are fewer and fewer records being released that i would want to hear/play in a club. And it's not that good records aren't being released. There are plenty. They've just become less danceable. Less entertaining even. They may sound decent in a soundcloud mix, but not on the dancefloor.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Papa Bear wrote:Didn't notice those links either.
I actually kinda like that Isherwood track. I'd definitely dance to it in the club.
! yeah my favorite of the bunch and agree.. I would completely dance to it.. that was my take as well. I would buy that, dance to it, and play that in the club without question. hopefully it's still around that price when I'm ready. I've been trying to balance out financially for most of the better part of the past two years. pay cuts, cut backs, company restructuring .. but when that happens I can go back and get some of the down tempo, heady after hour stuff on vinyl I've been yearning to pick up.
breton wrote: I was just thinking how there are fewer and fewer records being released that i would want to hear/play in a club.

They've just become less danceable. Less entertaining even. They may sound decent in a soundcloud mix, but not on the dancefloor.
^ this..

real energy shift. now ppl stream dj sets from cell phones vs. dance club stuff..

out of the past 15-20 times out I didn't enjoy myself and found myself spending money I didn't have.. I've also seen really good dj's that used to play vinyl go digital, got into using a computer, and find they get lost in the endless amount of mediocre mp3's to choose from. I think I counted 4-5 artist/dj's who's sets have become completely null since changing to computers.. which would also lead to the shift of endless amounts of lifeless dj's sets and podcast.

thank god Wiskey Disco (the old olso) is back open in detroit. a real breathe of fresh air.. just saw dawson - (big bully) do a live set with black light smoke... then dawson played an after hours which I left at 4-5 am that went untouched about 4 blocks away from the office of boys in blue .....I'm sure someone's getting the right envelope but it was by far the funnest time out in many..

feeling pushed back more into my own artistic expression vs. trying to celebrate mediocre dj's sets, with new club kids, trying to climb the new wave - social step latter.. I try to support.... but it's becoming a real challenge for me.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

breton wrote:And it's not that good records aren't being released. There are plenty. They've just become less danceable. Less entertaining even.
right.. but... wouldn't that be an complete contradiction :?: they don't have to suck exactly.. but if they are less entertaining, less danceable, then they aren't good, (or good enough to play out or buy) then they don't cut it. these are exactly the norm of these (ok) tracks that are filling this community, pod cast, dance floors, and millions of ears with bland frequencies..

less k more a or m period! more tryptamines to activate creative vibrations within your brain vs. k heroin-like drunkenness.. please stop folks with the dopey foolishness... enough already. this is a decade now of heavily k influence music ...

as a trial and error experiance I"ll share : a few years ago I got my tax return back a few years ago and ani up'd on some things that effect horses.. needless to say all the loops and tracks I had listening to a year later I wouldn't use and didn't like at all. case in point, and as someone said to me, "doing k is like being drunk".. you get so jacked up, it's about the buzz and being faded vs. being in touch with a spiritual element anymore. Now being sober for the past two years I realized so many elements that I thought at the time were nice to have or use, where nearly just distractions to my creative output..

more please
cbld
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cbld »

I think the problem facing dance music today is that the only way to get booked is by putting out records. Therefore a lot of shitty music is being pressed just so people can get bookings. This means that there are a lot of producers that are shitty dj's. It seems like very few people make it purely on the basis of djing anymore.
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

cbld wrote:I think the problem facing dance music today is that the only way to get booked is by putting out records.
Wasn't it always like that though? Exceptions are far and few between.
If anything, there are more half assed djs now, who are djing only because it's become nigh impossible to make money by releasing records.
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by agodi »

John Clees wrote: more please
Couldn't agree more. I remember when K started to get really popular here there was a pretty sudden shift in the atmosphere at parties, instead of everyone dancing together, loved up and part of the same buzz, people started drifting off into corners and slipping away into a world of their own....that doesn't really create much of party atmosphere, its more individual escapism than a collective happiness. I guess this same attitude crept into many peoples productions too.

K's also very messy, i know a few people who're addicted to it and need to take it every day. Not good!
definitely need more of this too
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

or I should say 1st and 3rd tracks... I enjoy... thanks again brenon..

agodi wrote:
John Clees wrote: more please
Couldn't agree more. I remember when K started to get really popular here there was a pretty sudden shift in the atmosphere at parties, instead of everyone dancing together, loved up and part of the same buzz, people started drifting off into corners and slipping away into a world of their own....that doesn't really create much of party atmosphere, its more individual escapism than a collective happiness. I guess this same attitude crept into many peoples productions too.
very well put.. :!: yeah.... i'm glad and very grateful I at least had the chance to experience that togetherness...for me 2005-2006 was very much about acid in detroit and not so much k. it seemed things were all about unity, community, and togetherness. k was there but it was something you could every other month and/or it was an occasional thing vs. something every weekend. in 2008 it became something that you could get anytime and begin to really take center stage. so for me in detroit that was the shift in its entirety.. people talking about it non stop, which some still do.

I don't see it going anywhere exactly, but perhaps the newness has settle down a bit, and people realize it's way over rated and doesn't help as much as you want to believe it to be for your creative output..

perhaps a long over due thread dedicated to just the good heady stuff that doesn't get much exposure should be a new sticky.. getting light to artist and labels, and may help some much needed record sales..