Russell Brand May Have Started a Revolution Last Night

- open
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Russell Brand May Have Started a Revolution Last Night

Post by John Clees »

The revolution itself may not be televised, but on last night's edition of the BBC's Newsnight, viewers may have witnessed the start of one.

Actor-slash-comedian-slash-Messiah Russell Brand, in his capacity as guest editor of the New Statesman's just-published revolution-themed issue, was invited to explain to Jeremy Paxman why anyone should listen to a man who has never voted in his life.

"I don't get my authority from this preexisting paradigm which is quite narrow and only serves a few people," Russell responded. "I look elsewhere for alternatives that might be of service to humanity."

And with that, the first shots of Russell's revolutionary interview were fired.

Over the course of the following ten-or-so minutes, Brand and Paxo volleyed back and forth over subjects ranging from political apathy, to corporate greed, to gorgeous beards.

Throughout the interview, Brand repeatedly dodged Paxman's efforts to trivialize his message — at one point Paxman literally called Brand a "very trivial man" — until finally, even the entrenched newsman appeared to relent against the rushing tide of Brand's valid arguments.

After Brand reminded Paxman that he cried after learning that his grandma too had been "fucked over" by aristocrats, the Newsnight host was stunned into silence.

"If we can engage that feeling and change things, why wouldn't we?" Brand crescendoed. "Why is that naive? Why is that not my right because I'm an 'actor'? I've taken the right. I don't need the right from you. I don't need the right from anybody. I'm taking it."

[H/T: Reddit, video via BBC Newsnight]

http://gawker.com/russell-brand-may-hav ... 1451318185
thomas101
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Russell Brand May Have Started a Revolution Last Night

Post by thomas101 »

This has been all over social media. Really need to find time and give it a listen.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

heres another side to it all.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/robin-l ... _hp_ref=tw
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

ray parry wrote:heres another side to it all.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/robin-l ... _hp_ref=tw
a 4,750-word revolutionary rant
that link was pretty jaded as another attack on the black president.. health care hasn't gone far enough for the insurance companies to start competing.. therefore they don have to offer an alternative... just yet.. squeezing people to the very very end from fear. saying all these people dont have health care isn't all that true due to the fact that in many cases their health premiums have been increasing as mentioned in other interview as much as 20% a year.. so they were going to lose it or it was going to increase so high until they wouldn't have been able to afford it before this even started..

the jaded insurance companies were already doing this before any obamacare.. ... hint hint notice the other presidential candidate Mit Romney already had romney care in the state Massachusetts and its working.. : as mentioned in the clip, it' doesn't matter how you vote for, private agenda's are going to be brought into motion regardless of the puppet that you see on tv..

anyone for mother earth, change in classes of peope, and most importantly I took from that interview...
.WE THE PEOPLE.....should know WHO is funding their presidential campaign, BEFORE... voting for ANYONE from NOW ON.. very crucial information on a person your going to vote for SHOULD be brought to the forefront in the next elections hopefully.. I'm sure it will be fought tooth and nail, but the very idea of the concept, the idea, the attitude that we the voter should know, its hope for a future : and the new generation that will hold our leaders more accountable so that they can't get away with what they did in the past.. .
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

im sure many of us are in agreement with brand, however he just goes on massive rants and doesnt really do anything else. hes also a massive conspiracy theory nut, so he loses massive points for that in my mind.

this is quite interesting.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/why-isnt ... -austerity
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

can you re post the link and use the (url) button's...

I think the point of being dramatic is that it creates waves and social buzz... get out more to the masses that way..
in a sense it's brilliant and adds to the effect .. still has a comic approach to it, but still touches on very serious points..
someone outside the influences of trying to play suck up to a the social later to gain something later......
so he can be as authentic as possible... not sure how many could or will be like him..
but surely a breath of fresh air...