I'm Upset! KNOWONE 013 (WHITE MARBLED VINYL)

- open
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: I'm Upset! KNOWONE 013 (WHITE MARBLED VINYL)

Post by roland »

sipage wrote:@ roland that KnowOne track you used as an example is really good, I like it. Plus you can see how that example has a nice intor that gets you into the track and builds, KnoOne 013 if you can find it is totally different and does not have the same effect.

Also was interested to know why do you prefer dub tracks that fade in? (Just to confirm KnowOne 010 doesn't do this, it has a clearly defined first beat and build gradually.)
exactly, but the beginning is soundwise so little.. to me this is not enough to play it out in a club (except as the very first track).. i really enjoy the track in the middle (after ~3.5 mins) that`s why i would love to have the whole record (~12min) like the last 4 minutes, and starting with a fade in :)

to be honest tho if the track was 15 mins long and has a build up, that would be fine to me aswell.. it's just i feel the main theme and groove of this track is too short cause he spends 3 mins on building the whole thing.. so in the end i think i dont really care if it builds up or fades in as long as i can use it like i want to ;)
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by breton »

sipage wrote:You were quite clearly referring to the Ableton digital DJ's
No, i wasn't.
sipage wrote:KnowOne 013 is not that sort of recording.
Aren't these tracks based on simple loops with little variations?

Anyway, i think roland hit the nail on the head when he said
those knowones are so slow i wanna sleep when a dj plays some tracks like this in a row around 122 bpm
Basically, Knowone is a bunch of soulless net-label sad sacks who rarely (if ever) go to clubs (unless Brendon Moeller or Rod Modell is playing) and almost definitely never dance. And the music they make fully reflects their lifestyle and preferences.
They don't make tracks for people to dance to. Or for djs to have fun playing them. They make music for sad sacks to be sad sacks to.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Themis wrote:hm interesting, i didnt really realize till now, but tracks who just fade in have a really cheap feel to it.

and also @Papa Bear

i know you are bored sitting in front of your pc refreshing mnml.nl every 2 minutes.
but please try to be a bit more friendly, even if it seems sooo dumb to you.
I agree : papa cock.. hahah.. he took the time to post here to expression himself...
no need to name call and chastise his post when he's just asking an opinion..

that is the marking of buying records online vs. hearing the full track before you buy..
I've bought a hand full of tracks that had 2 mins of goodness and then rapidly changed...
nearly useless to play. ever since then I've rarely ever bought a record online
without hearing the full track..

been dooped by online marking websites..
* lesson learned..
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

breton wrote:and almost definitely never dance. And the music they make fully reflects their lifestyle and preferences.
They don't make tracks for people to dance to. Or for djs to have fun playing them. They make music for sad sacks to be sad sacks to.
hahaha ....

right down the pipe....

:!:
sipage
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sipage »

breton, whatever your views on KnowOne (and since this was my first and last purchase of this artist due to the complaint in my OP), not all electronic music is intended for dancing. I get the tube to work every morning & sometimes I just want some nice deep electronic music to close my eyes to and drift off to. I don't always want full on havin' it tracks banging away. I like a bit of variety.

John Clees I hear you and have been telling myself to make the time to go after work and buy my vinyl’s in a shop instead of online, as you can’t beat checking out the whole track, I‘ve been caught out in exactly the same way you were speaking of. A few years ago I bought a track that had a great stripped back groove and this tiny hit of a hook that sneaked into the sample clip here and there. It was pretty cool. But there was something familiar about even though it was quite processed. I purchased the download and played the track in full . . . ARRRRGH! That “familiar” sound snippet turned out the be for the love of God the hook from Rod Stewarts “Do You Think I’m Sexy” . . .I was so embarrassed. The gits who’d uploaded the sample clip has just used the intro beat and beginnings of the track. I just don’t know how I couldn’t tell what it was.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

sipage wrote:buy my vinyl’s in a shop instead of online, as you can’t beat checking out the whole track, .
ideally, but that typically doesn't apply where I live..
listening to the full track on youtube is always a nice option..
if not available there, some things are even started to appear and
be streamed at discogs as well...
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

I hate tracks that just fade in. It makes no sense at all. When you're playing in a club its a right pain to find the first beat when its loud. Anton Zap does this with all his music, so I have stopped playing them out now.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

honestly how long of a fade are we speaking about.. ?

if your speaking of 4 measures, just count the clap on the 6th measure / beat match using the same and call it a day.. I've personally never found I was annoyed at anything "fading" in... I don't get it really..

getting a record that has 2 mins of a good part and the rest of the track lacks, is another topic entirely ..