Turntable Weights

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Turntable Weights

Post by Themis »

Whats your take on this?

i heard it increases the sound, cant really believe this. maybe if there are heavy vibrations
also some say needles dont skip so easy anymore.

does anyone use them?

dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Turntable Weights

Post by dirddey_iddler »

physically you change the environment of vibrations.

the hub and the center hole of the record act as an bridge for vibrations.

with weights in the center from the hub you change the behaviour of the damping from the record-recordplayer system (needle, arm).

When the needle crosses the rills it produced vibrations (the sound material), this vibrations and oscillations are going into the arm and hub, keep in mind the record doesnt have a solid fitting. So the oscillations will interact with the record too. when the needle skips, you have point of resonance from the system. With such a thing you can avoid this.

Yes, it could be right what you mentioned.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

when was the last time you heard a record skip?
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

at every party where people decide to but all the subwoofers exactly underneath the dj booth.. apparently i witnessed a number of parties like that during summer..
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

roland wrote:at every party where people decide to but all the subwoofers exactly underneath the dj booth.. apparently i witnessed a number of parties like that during summer..

in that case use half cutted tennis balls under a concrete / cement / stone plate. on top of the plates place the turntables.

with that you change the damping system of the ground and table to turntables
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

John Clees wrote:when was the last time you heard a record skip?
what do you mean? at every party were vinyl is played, at least once the needle jumps Oo
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

dirddey_iddler wrote:
roland wrote:at every party where people decide to but all the subwoofers exactly underneath the dj booth.. apparently i witnessed a number of parties like that during summer..

in that case use half cutted tennis balls under a concrete / cement / stone plate. on top of the plates place the turntables.

with that you change the damping system of the ground and table to turntables

still.. two big woofers directly under the table blow away everything.. woofers should never be placed underneath turntables point ^^
dirddey_iddler
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dirddey_iddler »

roland wrote: still.. two big woofers directly under the table blow away everything.. woofers should never be placed underneath turntables point ^^
yes thats another story :P

but to shield the turntables against vibrations my mentioned method helps. maybe it solved the problem with the woofers too.